"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Alcoa Eagle Cam!

Today at church, a really nice lady--one of the other church janitors, in fact--gave me a piece of paper with "Alcoa Eagle Cam at Davenport Works" written on it. She told me to Google it...so I did, as soon as I got home! What I found was really cool. It is a live cam of two bald eagles in Davenport, Iowa! They have been living in Davenport for the past three years or so, and since 2010 the eagles (named "Liberty" & "Justice") have raised a family there, in a nest 80-85 feet above the ground.

Since the pair started raising a family, Alcoa (whoever they are, probably a company or something) has installed an "Eaglecam" which streams live video of the nest (and the eagles when they are in the nest, which is most of the time) 24/7, at least in the exciting part of the year when Liberty & Justice are raising a family. The eggs (three this year) were laid last month, and this month's big thing is the hatching of the eggs. According to the blog (at the link which I'll give you in a minute), two of the eggs have already hatched. The third was being hatched today! I got on board and found the live cam at around lunchtime today, but could see no baby birds yet. I wasn't surprised though, as the process probably takes a long time.

I come upstairs and tell my sister and mother about it. Alison--my sister--gets real excited, and very enthusiastically asks to watch the eagles, hoping to watch the actual hatching. To be honest I didn't offer her much hope, but I got the Internet up for her anyway. Well, about ten minutes later, we were both very privileged to watch the final baby bald eagle hatch from its' egg!!! I thought that was really really cool, I've certainly never seen a bald eagle--much less one hatching--up so close.

You can see the newly hatched baby right above the big stick...Mother "Liberty"
is watching over her brood proudly!

So that's what we've been doing this afternoon. It's fun to watch Liberty & Justice feed and care for their brood, and to hear the babies' little chirps! Occasionally you can hear geese flying overhead as well. The hatching isn't the only exciting thing, however; the eaglets grow quickly and I am told will fledge around late May or early June. So go head over to the link below, and watch America's icon in family life up close! I'll tell ya though, it's quite addicting! :D


~Photobug

No comments:

Post a Comment