"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Almost

My family likes to tease me about my "almost" list. As our family has traveled the country there have been several places I've "almost" been too.

I've "almost" been to Canada when our family was visiting Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan in 2002. We were trying to visit the Soo Locks (on the American side.)
However, with serious road construction we almost missed our exit and were poised to cross the border!

I've also had my close calls with Mexico. In 2003, the year following our Soo Locks adventure, our family was vacationing in southern Texas. Once there we promptly got lost and were headed straight for Mexico! And I've seen Mexico several times as our family would drive through El Paso, Texas en route to California. (We made this particular trip through El Paso several times, including in 2006.) Right before we'd hit the city I could see across the Rio Grande pretty well!

Two-thousand Six was a very good year for my "almost" list. When driving through central Colorado, our family passed within minutes of Royal Gorge. I had read about this famous gorge before, but unfortunately we could not stop as we had to make time. Rack one up on the "almost" list!

Later that night we pulled into Amarillo, Texas for a good night's sleep. We slept just two blocks away from a quarter horse museum! I wanted so badly to visit that museum--my main interest at the time was of the equine kind. Perhaps our family would have visited that museum, but alas, it was closed to renovation.

As you can see from the stories that I've just related it's fun to remember the places that I've "almost" been too. But in the spiritual realm the word "almost" can be fatal. "Almost" did a kindness for a stranger that would've made their day. "Almost" said "I love you" to his family before he rushed to work--and they being killed in a car accident while he was gone. "Almost" gave her heart to the Lord at a Week of Prayer or sermon before----

None of us know how long we are to live on this earth. Sure, the Lord may not return for another 20 or 30 years, but that doesn't mean we'll be alive for that long! We could die tomorrow.

The Scriptures give several accounts of people who "almost" gave their heart to God. There's the rich young ruler, and Pilate. Then there's Felix, a governor in Paul's day who when Christianity was shown to him said, "That's enough for now! You (Paul) may leave. When I find it convenient, I will send for you." See Acts 24:25, NIV.

Horror of horrors! Our merciful Heavenly Father had given this heathen ruler an opportunity to hear and accept Him. But what did Felix say? "When I find it convenient..." Felix missed Heaven by inches. I once ran across a quote in a magazine that I thought was very profound, and it went something like this: "To be almost saved is to be totally lost."

As each New Year rolls around people tend to think a bit more about where they've been, where they're going, and what they want to do. I highly encourage you to be proactive and cross off some items from your "almost" list. And I'm not talking about various geographical places on the planet. I'm talking about doing things that will truly matter in the end.

For example, open a door for a stranger! When asked how you're doing, say something different and more positive than "fine"! Let your family know how much you appreciate them! And--if you haven't yet--give your life to the Lord.

In Revelation 22:20, NIV, Jesus says, "Yes, I am coming soon."

And in 1 John 1:9, NIV, the apostle John reminds us that "If we confess our sins, he (Jesus) is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."

We may have messed up in the past, and not done what we should. But God is only too eager to answer and help us onto the right path. This year, let's give God some joy! Cross some things off your here-to-fore "almost" list and actually do them!

No comments:

Post a Comment