"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Hover & God's Understanding

One of my favorite computer games to play is called Hover. It's a really old one that came on one of Dad's computers years ago, but it still works on our computer so I'm really glad for that. ;)

The goal of Hover is to collect all of your oponents' flags before they collect all of yours. You are in a Hovercraft, and using the map you can expertly glide through the maze to collect flags. Sometimes the flags are easy to find and grab; for example, right behind a wall (with an opening), or just plain out in the open. And sometimes you have to climb the stairs to nab a flag, all while avoiding the various traps.

While there are multiple levels, the hardest level is the one that looks like a sewer (see above photo). The hard part is that to win, there is often a flag on a platform...but no stairs. The only way to collect that is to use the springs you've collected and jump, hoping you will make it up on the platform! As a general rule, I will save this flag for last. While I collect the rest of the flags throughout the maze, I purposely collect as many springs as I can, so if I miss the platform on my first jump I can try again.

There's just one little problem with that, though. The other team (about 5 or 6 strong, and run by the computer) knows that I am just one flag away from winning. So they all congregate around me, taking turns jabbing and pushing me away from the platform! And if you get bumped while trying to jump, you most certainly won't reach the platform!

Is that how you feel sometimes? That everything is coming at you, jabbing and pushing you around? That no one is for you? Perhaps you feel like no one could possibly understand what you are going through. If so, let me share a Bible verse with you:

"For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are--yet was without sin."

That's from Hebrews 4:15, and the verse is talking about Jesus. Jesus did come to this earth, and become fully human and retained his identity as fully God. It's a mystery beyond comprehension, but the point is that Jesus does understand what we go through. He's been there, and is in a perfect position to help and comfort us through our trials and and hardships.

And what about me on Hover? Well, I also collect "invisibles", and as I jump I also enable the "invisible" function so the other team can't see me or knock into me. That way, I have a very good chance of jumping onto the platform, collecting the last flag, and winning the game.

Remember that whatever you are going through, Jesus understands. He is more than ready to help you if you only let Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment