"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Creeping Darkness

A few weeks ago the most marvelous experience happened. The sun had almost gone to bed, the temperature was dropping, and the woodbox needed refilling. Since our whole family wanted a fire that night (and Dad hadn't come home yet), Mom had asked me to go out to our woodpile and transport some lumber from the pile into the woodbox.

I didn't mind at all. Zipping my coat and tying my shoes, I prepared to go outside. It wasn't too cold out, but I knew that once the sun set (it was almost there), it would get much cooler. For maybe twenty minutes or so, I carted wood from the woodpile to the woodbox, carrying one piece of wood per trip. It wasn't a lot, but I could still see well enough and the work went quickly. Soon I had finished my chore and was back inside. But when I had come inside from outside, I was startled. I knew that the sun had set but that there was still some light to go by. But when I was inside looking out, it seemed like there was totally no light outside! I had just been in for a few seconds, but it really amazed me that while I was outside, I could see fine, but when I was inside I couldn't see anything. The darkness had come slow but sure, and all of a sudden it was there.

I've been thinking about that experience. It reminds me of what Satan will do to us if we're not careful. He'll introduce just a little more sin into our lives. Not so much that we'll balk at; but just enough that we will accept it and thus continue our way to destruction. If we (with Jesus' help, of course) don't stop the progress soon enough, we'll be startled at the darkness that has come upon our lives. Jesus actually talks about this principle in Matthew 16.

"“Be careful,” Jesus said to them. “Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees.”" (verse 6)


Jesus isn't talking about real yeast, but is referring to the false teachings that spread through the life like yeast. Slowly, surely, and almost imperceptibly


Is there some sin or bad habit in your life that is taking you down? Do you want to stop it, but don't know how? Ask Jesus to help you! Cling to His promises! It may be a struggle, but if you surrender all to Him He will help you out of your pit. Don't let the Son set on your life! 

1 comment: