"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Introducing Project "366ish"

Since finishing my Desire of Ages Readathon, I have been searching for a new program that I can do for my morning quiettime.

I knew I wanted to do some Bible memorization; however, I also wanted some variety and flexibility. Thus is born what I call the 366ish project! My friend Briana is following this program this year and has been posting about it on her blog, except that she is doing one verse a day. It's looked so good that I've decided to try it!

Basically, as you might suspect, the "366 Verses, 366 Days: His Word in My Heart" project is aimed at helping people memorize one verse a day for the entire year. I'm going to follow along, but at a slightly more relaxed pace. Maybe more like three or four verses a week, instead of seven. We'll see. I also want the freedom to study my Sabbath School lesson, or to write up a devotional on this blog if I have the inspiration.

So with thus aforementioned disclaimers disclaimed, I now announce the commencement of my starting the 366ish project! Usually I will probably memorize the same verses that Briana is memorizing; however, since I didn't start on January 1 there are some verses that I would really like to catch up on! I know that I don't need to catch up, and I certainly won't press myself. Still, there are some verses that I definitely don't want to pass by. So this week, instead of doing the new verses, I will be trying to memorize some previously-posted verses. Here they are:


  • Sunday--Joshua 1:9: "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."
  • Monday--Acts 18:9-10: "Now the Lord spoke to Paul in the night by a vision, 'Do not be afraid, but speak, and do not keep silent; 10 for I am with you, and no one will attack you to hurt you; for I have many people in this city.'"
  • Tuesday--Matthew 14:27: "But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, 'Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid.'"
  • Wednesday--Luke 2:10: "Then the angel said to them, 'Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people.'"
  • Thursday--Psalm 56:11: "In God I have put my trust; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?"
  • Friday--Revelation 1:17: "And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, 'Do not be afraid; I am the First and the Last.'"
  • Saturday--Exodus 14:13: "And Moses said to the people, 'Do not be afraid. Stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD, which He will accomplish for you today. For the Egyptians whom you see today, you shall see again no more forever.'"

As you probably could see, all these verses are on the topic of courage, and God's strength. What wonderful subjects to meditate on! 

I will be (hopefully) writing next week Sabbath and updating you all on my progress. Feel free to join me, whether it be one verse a week, a couple verses a week, or seven verses a week! There's strength in numbers! Also don't hesitate to contact me and check up to see how I am doing. Your motivation could be just the encouragement I need!

1 comment: