"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Of Endings & Beginnings


Wow!

So much has happened this week.

This past weekend--Sunday, actually--there was a lot of focus for me on the upcoming school year. See, at the start of every school year Southern does a really nice thing by treating all its' employees and their families to a picnic at some fun Chattanooga area attraction. In past years we've gone to Rock City, the Tennessee Aquarium, or the Chattanooga Zoo. This year, Southern took us south of the (Georgia ;D) border to Lake Winnepesaukah Amusement Park in Rossville, Georgia.

It was a lot of fun! We've gone there a few times in years past, so we definitely rode on some old favorites such as the 1916 Carousel, the Antique Cars, plus Mom, Dad, and Alison did a little kiddie roller coaster called the "Wacky Worm". About the craziest thing we all did was ride the flying elephants (see picture)!

Haha, we have too much sense in our brains to ride on all the crazy roller coasters, etc. that whip you around and cause physical and mental injury....but we do have fun doing some of the more low-key stuff! A new thing for us this year was trying the paddle boats; I was quite anxious at first, but after I realized that I had been floating for more than 5 seconds and was still afloat I enjoyed myself quite a lot! Haha, that was so much fun that we actually did it again.

What I think that I enjoyed the most, however, was the picnic supper. It was just so good to see everyone again! Growing up in the "Southern family" for the past six years now, I've really gotten to some of the professors and other employees. Even more so now that I'm a student myself!

So that was a lot of fun. On Monday I had the opportunity to meet with one of my fall semester professors. It went really well, and I learned a lot of good things that will help me do well in his class. Right after that, Mom and I went over the Campus Shop to buy my books for fall, and that was a lot of fun too. It's so exciting all the new classes I'm taking, and it's just been a ton of fun in the past week or two to hang out and have fun with my friends. School year coming on = more social opportunities. Yay! ;)

One big thing for me this past Thursday and Friday was finishing up my PreCalc Algebra class. This past week was the last week of the class, and with me all excited for fall I really wanted to finish this class. (Not to say anything against my professor or the class; he was incredible and taught the class great! But I could tell that I was getting just a little tired and weary and ready to be done). Anyway, it was just real exciting to see the homework assignments dwindle as I completed them each day.

By Thursday, I only had one homework assignment left, and the final test on Friday. I've been getting A's and B's on my tests, but what concerned me was that before this test I was less than one percentage point away from the A/A- cut off. I had kept a hard-earned A the whole semester, and I knew getting a B on this last test would most likely knock me out of the A category! Ouch! So I really wanted to get an A on this test.

I studied the best that I could, and on Thursday got together with my friend Andy to do some studying together. That went really well; it 'twas very beneficial and I learned a ton from him. He really helped cement in my mind some concepts that hadn't been so known before. Combined with prayer, and the study that I did on my own, I felt like I was just about as ready to take this test as I ever would be.

Well, I get on the test and did my very best. My gut feeling coming out was that I had done very well. Both me and my mother were hoping that my internal inclinations were right! An hour or two later, I checked my grade online....and guess what folks. I had gotten an A on that test! A high A! Not only that, but this great test grade brought my overall class score up several points, so I earned a solid A in PreCalc Algebra.

PRAISE GOD!!!!

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!! :D

So yes, I was and still am very happy about that. I'm glad that it's the weekend, and that I have a few days' break before school starts up again late next week. Lots of fun things are planned for break, and I'm super excited about this coming school year. I'll definitely tell you all about it....next week! ;)

Haha. See you then!

~Austin

1 comment: