"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

11 Years of Woofer Wisdom & Wonderfulness


Well, today my absolutely wonderful service dog Lauren turns 11 years old.


She was born this day in 1997, then trained for two years to become my service dog. For most of her training she was with two wonderful people called "puppy raisers" who fed, potty-trained, and taught basic commands (all out of their own pocket!!) to her before turning her into to CCI (Canine Companions for Independence) "College". Really called Advanced Training where professional trainers who taught Lauren to (if need be) pull a wheelchair, flip a light switch, and open and close doors-including the refrigerator! We still keep in contact with Lauren's puppy raisers. They are the sweetest people!


To these people, and the Lauren's Advanced Training trainers I am eternally grateful for. Really, my handicap (my right side is weaker than my left because of a pre-birth stroke) is a blessing in disguise. I have my wonderful service dog Lauren of 9 years which has, even though not in a wheelchair, helped me tremendously. Instead of being "that strange kid with a brace" I am "that cool kid who gets to take his dog everywhere!"


Especially when I was younger, I had a high chance of falling over anything. So therefore, I didn't want to go anywhere, even my own backyard. (I got Lauren when I lived in California for 7 years as well, though CA is pre-Texas!) But with Lauren, I HAD to go outside and besides the good fresh air, I had a companion now. I also would trip all the time over mats stores would place in front of their doors. With a handle placed on Lauren's cape, I wouldn't trip nearly as much. That dog has saved me from many a fall! As I put it, Lauren "is like a cane, but of course you can't pet a cane!"


Even in my older age-(yes, I'm getting old too-I got Lauren when I was 6!) she is still a valued companion and friend. Even though my balance is better, and I'm not afraid of going outside anymore, Lauren is still a most valued asset. When our family is merely on vacation, or moving to a new location, Lauren is a HUGE social breaker. When we're at church, (yes, I take her there too. She can go anywhere her master needs to go.) I stand out and am easily remembered. This helped tremendously when I was younger (as mentioned previously). Kids were still attracted to me, but now for a positive reason, instead of a negative one!


And so in closing, Lauren has arguably been one of the most (if not THE most) positive change in my life. And even at 11 years, I hope to have her for many more.


~Photobug


P.S.-If you would like to learn more about the wonderful organization that trained Lauren, check out this website: http://www.cci.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment