"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Greenfield Village: The Happiest Place on Earth


One of my favorite things on every Michigan vacation is going with Grandpa to Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford Museum (AKA "The Henry Ford"). This year was no different.
Here are some pictures from our first visit. For those of you who don't know, The Henry Ford was started by Henry Ford himself way back in 1929. Greenfield Village includes some authentic rides such as Model T's, steam trains, and a merry-go-round. Of course, rides aren't everything. Greenfield Village includes the original homes of such people as Henry Ford, Harvey Firestone, the Wright Brothers and Noah Webster. There's also the courthouse that Abe Lincoln practiced law in, and a train depot where Edison was at too.



The museum also has some very nice attractions. There’s the chair in which Lincoln was killed, the Rosa Parks bus, a 1952 Wienermobile, a mammoth Allegany steam locomotive, plus much more.


When we went to the Henry Ford last week we first went to Greenfield Village and rode all the rides in the morning. We rode the Model T’s twice, and we all rode the Carousel at least once. (Alison LOVES the Carousel, and talks about it all year!!). After the Carousel we rode the steam train which travels the perimeter of Greenfield Village. We were pulled by the “Edison”, a steam locomotive from the 1890s I believe.

After the train we rode a horse-drawn carriage! It was fun. Alison enjoyed petting the horses. After a tasty lunch, we all split up to see different parts of Greenfield Village. Grandpa and I first went to the roundhouse and turntable (which, by the way, is the only operating roundhouse in the Midwest). A highlight for me was to help turn a 42-ton, 109-year-old turntable!! It was really fun.

Then Grandpa and I briefly stopped by the craftworks area and shortly visited a few of our favorite shops. Grandpa and I both enjoyed watching a vase of some kind being made in the glass shop.

Grandpa and I were both going to see more of Greenfield Village, but we both got tired and thirsty. So we spent the rest of our time in the Henry Ford Museum, which is inside and air-conditioned! :) We saw some old TVs from the ‘50s, ‘60s, and ‘70s! We also visited the airplane exhibit and viewed a Ford Tri-Motor, a DC-3, and some more cool old planes.

After the planes we went to the huge car exhibit, especially enjoying visiting a restaurant-diner. Only problem was that the diner wasn’t selling food at the prices that were advertised in it! ;) Almost done with the Museum, Grandpa and I both climbed into the cab of a HUGE Allegany steam locomotive!!!

Lastly, when we met up with our family, Grandpa and Grandma very nicely helped me buy not one shirt, but two “the Henry Ford” shirts. I had been planning on getting one, but there was a sale on to get two, and they were very nice and helped me get two shirts. ;)






^^I NEVER want to ride in a car with this guy, he crashes too much! ;D Maybe he needs to read the book "Crash Testing for Dummies", or "Driving for Dummies". ;)


^^The Allegany.


^^I always wanted to be an engineer when I was a little kid!



^^Engineer Grandpa.












^^I had fun going crazy with my sign pictures!





^^The car that Kennedy was killed in.








^^I tried making a paper airplane. But when I tried, I discovered that I need a bit more practice before I go work for Boeing or NASA! ;)





^^An early Boeing air mail plane.









^^The Ford Trimotor.




^^Me in the roundhouse.




^^Inside the roundhouse.




^^Can you guess?? In the foreground is the 42-ton turntable that I helped turn, with the roundhouse in the background.



















^^This is the oldest building in Greenfield Village, I believe built in the 1600s.




^^The Ackley Covered Bridge, originally in Findlay, Ohio.













^^One of the original Model T's you can ride in.




^^Our very nice Model T driver.




^^As I said earlier, Alison loves the Carousel. I enjoyed catching the carousel in motion.



^^Grandma.









^^Group Picture #1: L to R, me, Mom, Alison, Dad, and Grandma.





^^Group Picture #2: L to R, Alison, Grandpa, Mom, Dad, and Grandma.




^^This is a fine shot...





^^...but I like this one so much better!




^^The glass blower in the glass shop. When he's working, the glass can get up to 1600 F!





^^Our conductor: "Allllll ABOARD!"




^^The Edison in Smith Creek Station.










^^Above two pictures are of the Torch Lake, built in 1873 and is the oldest continuously running steam locomotive.

2 comments:

  1. LOTS of nice photos, Austin! But I especially like the one of the train conductor yelling "All Aboard!" Don't know how you got the perfect shot there--must have had your camera on the continous shoot mode I'm guessing?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mom! I know I was sitting right next to the conductor when he yelled, "All Aboard", but I forget if I had continus shooting enabled. I know I got two almost identical shots. Anyway, glad you liked my photos! :)

    ~Photobug

    ReplyDelete