"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Color to just FALL for: The Cherohala Skyway




Guess what our family did today?!? We drove part of the Cherohala Skyway!!! :D The Cherohala

Skyway is a National Scenic Byway that goes through Cherokee and Natahala National Forests, thus the name Cherohala. The Skyway is situated just below the Smokies, and in my opinion, just as beautiful. Starting in Tellico Plains Tennessee, the Skyway twists and turns in Cherokee National Forest. After crossing the Tennessee-North Carolina border, it runs through Natahala National Forest, ending in Robbinsville, North Carolina. See their website, www.cherohala.org


We had been hoping to go to the Smokies this year for Fall Break, but I had read on the Smokies Facebook page that really the whole park is a traffic jam...through the autumn season. So, we decided to go to Cherohala instead. And we were not disappointed! There was virtually no traffic, so we were able to have a true getaway!

Cherohala is really quite spectacular this time of year--especially on the Tennessee side, where the fall color is just gorgeous. Once you get into the higher, North Carolina elevations, you notice that the leaves have started falling off the trees. But for the most part, there was just Kodiak moments and postcard opportunities everywhere! The Skyway 
climbed from about 950' above sea level to 5,390'. It was quite windy and cold up top! :P However, along the way there were several nice overlooks in which you could pull over.



When we got to Tellico Plains we stopped at the Visitor Center, which was quite nice. We were able to get some good information about the road ahead, and we even were able to get a FREE map of the Skyway!!! Of course you could also buy things there. I was very glad I had brought my money!! I was able to buy a really nice long sleeve shirt/pull-over something that is tan and says "Cherohala Skyway" with a very nice mountain drawing. You'll see it in the photos of m
e here in this post. Of course Alison and I both greatly enjoyed the fact that there were squished money and postcards there! ;)


There was also an extremely nice, free museum at the gift store/visitor center. It was of all things old. Of course, "old" depends on how long you've been around on this planet! ;) I really enjoyed seeing the type of telephone my mother used to use when she was a child, along with some old toys, collectibles, typewriters, record players, vacuum c
leaners, money and more!! (I will post the Museum pictures later.)


Another highlight of the trip was visiting the 100' Bald River Falls which was just off the Skyway. We all really appreciated that no hike was necessary to view the falls. So there will be several pictures of the falls in this post! I think the falls were probably my favorite of the trip! :D


Well I guess I better be done with my article and start on the pictures! :P

~Photobug

^^The road...


(above and below): Next few pictures are of Bald River Falls. :)





^^I really like this shot! :D
^^Me, with my Cherohala Skyway shirt on and Bald River Falls in the background. :)


^^When we ate lunch, this mountain was behind us. Quite pretty, I'd say!





^^The highest point on the Skyway, Santeetlah, 5, 390'. I was trying to smile, but it was quite windy! :P
^^My sister drawing on the way back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment