"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Sparrows, Juncos, and You

About a week and a half ago I had the most remarkable experience. It was just after lunch, and I had returned to school when my 6-year-old sister Alison bolted into my room exclaiming, "Mommy is outside and got a bird in her hand! Come take a picture of it!"

My initial reaction was, Alison, I gotta do school! I can't go take pictures now. But she kept at it, and so I figured that for just the remote chance that Mom DID have a bird in her hand, I should go check it out. And was I glad I did! Sure enough, Mom did have a bird in her hand. I guess right after I had gone back to school this bird (later we realized it was a junco) had banged into a house window. When Mom went outside to look for it, she found it upside down...picking it up, she was trying to revive it. That's when I was called and went outside with my camera to snag a few shots. (like the one above.) I really enjoyed stroking our little friend--I was amazed at how beautiful, soft, and fragile he (she?) was.



I thought it was a really cool experience seeing, petting and taking pictures of this bird. Right splat in the middle of my busy and hectic week, God called me to slow down and admire one of his lovely creatures. By this experience I was truly blessed. As I was stroking this little bird and thinking of how he fell after bumping into the window, a Bible passage came into my mind. It's found in Matthew 10:29-31 and goes something like this:

"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father...even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."

Worth more than many sparrows! Hairs on our heads all numbered! Sparrows are considered by some to be the least, the most forgotten or unimportant of God's creation. I suspect you could insert "junco" for "sparrow" as well. If God sees when a sparrow falls to the ground, don't you think he sees and takes care of you? Certainly, God always looks after you and always wants the best for you. In Jeremiah 29:11 He says:

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

If God knows when sparrows and juncos fall, he certainly is interested in you. During this Thanksgiving season, make sure you give thanks to God for his loving watch care and interest in you!

1 comment:

  1. Nice post! Beautiful photo, beautiful thoughts.

    ReplyDelete