"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Who Am I? Clue: An Early Deacon and Evangelist

Try to guess the Bible character's identity before the end of the article! 

It's always this way, isn't it? God gets something marvelous in motion and then Satan gets in the way! But praise His holy name, God can always prevail! Greetings, I am one of the original seven deacons in this brand-new Christian church. Along with Stephen, Procorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas, and Nicolas, I was chosen to tend to the widows and feed and care for the poor. [Acts 6:1-7]

We were chosen with much prayer and guidance from Holy Spirit. Literally, thousands are being added to our numbers, sometimes daily! [Acts 2:41] Jesus may not be with us physically any more, but He certainly is outpouring His Holy Spirit and leading us into all truth. [John 16:13] While the believers have been with one heart and mind, and sharing with each other, [Acts 4:32] I knew Satan was bound to stir up some trouble. He wouldn't let this "one heart and mind" stuff go on forever!

Finally the Grecian Jews came complaining to the Twelve. They were not happy as their widows were not being cared for, and the Hebraic widows were. In other words, the Twelve were stretched way too thin! The Twelve knew that this problem needed to be solved, and solved in a Christian way. After much prayer the Spirit led them to call a grand big meeting of all the disciples and solve this problem.

After all were present, the Twelve said,

"It would not be right for us to neglect the ministry of the word of God in order to wait on tables." Good point. But what to do? They continued, "Brothers, choose seven men from among you who are known to be full of the Spirit and wisdom. We will turn this responsibility over to them and will give our attention to prayer and the ministry of the word."

Perfect solution! As always, Jesus led His Holy Spirit to give us the right answer as to not split us up into groups and start fighting, instead of spreading the Word. With guidance from the Spirit, seven men were chosen to be deacons and care for the poor. Stephen, Procorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas, and Nicolas were chosen. And me. I did not feel at all qualified to fill the place, but I am exceedingly happy serving God wherever He sees fit. [Acts 6:1-7]

Not long after this a huge persecution broke out in Jerusalem. Saul was a zealous Pharisee who was persecuting and killing us Jesus followers all the time. Many of the followers were being killed, beaten, and put in prison by him. Naturally this caused many of the believers to scatter to farther lands beyond Jerusalem. As I've thought about this I've realized it was a blessing in disguise. In His closing words to the Twelve here on Earth, Jesus didn't say just to build up His church in Jerusalem! He said to build it up in Judea, Samaria, and even to the ends of the earth! [Acts 8:1-4, 1:8]

Believers are still believers, wherever we are. No matter the persecution, if there's any way possible, we're going to tell everyone we meet able our Lord and Savior Christ Jesus! So as the persecution in Jerusalem occurred, the believers scattered and told everyone, everywhere they went about Jesus. The apostles, however, stayed in Jerusalem. [Acts 8:4]

I myself scattered from Jerusalem with many other believers and preached the word wherever I went. Finally I ended up in a city in Samaria, where I preached an evangelistic series. God is so awesome!! He came upon me in a mighty way, and I was able to heal many, many, people and restore them to health. Paralytics were healed. Cripples too. With shrieks, evil spirits came out of many, many, people. God abundantly blessed me and many people listened to me and believed on the Name of Jesus Christ! Praise God! God brought much joy to this city.  [Acts 8:5-8, 12]

Remember how I said that when God sets something marvelous in motion, Satan tries to stop it?? Well, repeat performance here in this city of Samaria. Before the Lord lead me to this particular city, there was a man by the name of Simon that captured the city's interest and amazement by doing acts of sorcery. He boasted that he was someone great, and everyone, both rich and poor, payed attention and followed him all around. But praise God when Jesus lead me to preach in this city, the inhabitants believed, were baptized in the name of Jesus Christ, and forsook their adoration of Simon the sorcerer.

Satan, and Simon, were not happy. This time, Satan seemed to have planned a bit more deceiving course of action. First of all, Simon himself "believed" and was baptized. He followed me everywhere, astonished at all the miracles and great signs I would perform. What he didn't get was that this was nothing, absolutely nothing, of my own doing. It was God working His pleasure through me, his sinful but obedient servant. [Acts 8:9-13]

News traveled to Jerusalem and the Twelve that more believers had been added in Samaria. So they sent Peter and John to check things out.When they arrived, the two apostles laid their hands on these new believers and prayed that the Holy Spirit might also be given to them. So far, these inhabitants of Samaria did not have the Holy Spirit poured out on them, they had just been baptized.

Simon evidently believed, that after watching the apostles, that they could just give the Spirit at the laying of their hands. Was Simon wrong! Peter and John did not have any extraordinary abilities, they were just like me...God had decided to through us relieve suffering. It certainly wasn't our power, it was God through us.

So Simon asked Peter and John to give him this ability to give out the Spirit at the laying of hands. In return, he'd give them some money. Did Simon ever have the wrong idea! Peter gave him a sharp rebuke: "May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money! You have no part or share in this ministry, because your heart is not right with God. Repent of this wickedness and pray to the Lord. Perhaps he will forgive you for having such a thought in your heart. For I see that you are full of bitterness and captive to sin."

After Peter and John proclaimed Christ in this city of Samaria, they worked their way back to Jerusalem, preaching in various Samaritan villages as they went. [Acts 8:14-25]

When you live for God you certainly have some exciting adventures! Right after this evangelistic series in Samaria, one of God's angels directed me to take the desert road south from Jerusalem and head towards Gaza. I sure didn't know why God would send me out that way, but again, God's ways are not our ways and he can see the end from the beginning.

As I was traveling south on the desert road I came upon a chariot, carrying who I found out to be an Ethiopian eunuch, an important official in the treasury of Queen Candace, of the Ethiopians. I also found out that this man had just finished worshiping at Jerusalem.

As I continued walking on the desert road God told me to keep pace with the chariot, so I did. When I heard the eunuch reading Isaiah, I asked him if he understood what he was reading. He replied that he could not, if someone did not explain it to him. So this eunuch invited me up into the chariot to explain the passage he was reading, which happened to be Isaiah the fifty-third chapter, and verses seven and eight:

"He was led like a sheep to the slaughter, and as a lamb before the shearer is silent, so he did not open his mouth. In his humiliation he was deprived of justice. Who can speak of his descendants? For his life was taken from the earth."

The eunuch asked who the prophet was talking about, himself or someone else. Right there from that passage I explained to him the good news of Jesus Christ, and how He came to save us from our sins. As we continued traveling along the eunuch sighted some water. "Why can't I be baptized?" he exclaimed. I happily consented, and I had the great privilege of leading another precious soul to Christ. Immediately after I baptized the eunuch God took me away, and I was found preaching in Azotus, and other places all around. [Acts 8:26-40]

Later I made my home in Caesarea, and raised four fine daughters who prophesied. [Acts 21:8-9]

Following God isn't easy. Stephen, my fellow deacon of the Seven, was stoned to death shortly after being anointed. Paul, Silas, Barnabas, and Timothy all faced challenges and threats while spreading the Gospel to Gentiles. And Peter, John, and the other apostles often faced imprisonment, torture, and beatings. But we have a burning desire to share Christ, a light that will not go out. We know we are doing the right thing, and that God supports us all the way.

Do you know my name by now? My name is...


Phillip 

No comments:

Post a Comment