"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Lola


Recently, we became bird-sitters. Amazon parrot-sitters. See, my photography teacher’s daughter and family are moving down to this area and they needed a place to keep their bird, “Lola”, for a few weeks while they went back home and packed up.

So we became the lucky family. :D I have been learning a lot about birds in the last few days, and it has been nice since the last time I’ve probably interacted with a bird was 4 years ago.

It’s been really fun learning and watching Lola through the day. However, when Lola first came, I reminded myself that I needed to watch my actions and words even more carefully.

While I know Lola doesn’t talk, I wasn’t sure how much she would imitate anything that I did or said. For example, Mom read that Amazon parrots will match the behavior of people. So if we’re excited and agitated, Lola will become more agitated and squawk more. If we are quiet and relaxed, most time Lola will become more quiet and relaxed.

When I thought about this some more I thought how interesting this parrot business related to our spiritual walk. By beholding we are changed, and we need to keep our eyes on Jesus and imitate Him.

Hebrews 12:2, NIV:

“Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith…”

Ephesians 5:1, 2 NIV:

“Be imitators of God, therefore…and live a life of love”

Fix your eyes on Jesus. Behold Him. “Parrot” God!

1 comment:

  1. Check--now Lola will say "hi", "step up!", we think she says, "pretty bird". Along with some other noises we can't figure out...

    ReplyDelete