"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Saturday, June 5, 2010

What are YOU packing??

Recently our family took a family vacation to Michigan to visit my grandparents. In the days preceding our departure, much thought was put into what to take on our trip. What would we need? What did we want? And how could we make it fit into our suitcases?? I wanted to make sure that every single item I was taking would be used on our trip.

While I may have started out with a big list, eventually I narrowed it down to what I knew I really needed, along with some books and electronics for fun. My parents and sister did the same.

When I thought about this later, it struck me on how close packing parallels our spiritual experience. Going to Heaven, one of the few things we can take is our character. Are we packing unnecessary items such as envy, gloom, selfishness or hatred to others? Or are we packing love, joy and peace in our bags? Are we packing patience, or self-control? Are we kind, gentle and faithful?

In Galatians 5:19-23 the Apostle Paul states different items that we can pack in our bags:

"The acts of the sinful nature are obvious:....hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition....and envy...I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law."

What are YOU packing today?? Maybe it's time you reorganized your bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment