"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Boatlift



Just over a week ago, 9/11 once again made the news. No, not because it had happened again, but because people were remembering. Just over 10 years ago, that terrible tragedy occurred.

I remember that day well. I was still a little kid, doing his homeschool on a typical September morning. One of my subjects was Bible, and at the time I was working on Psalm 91, particularly verse 7:

"A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee."


Suddenly, the phone rang. It was my dad, almost commanding my mother and I to turn on the TV NOW! I dropped my Psalm 91 practice, and ran to the TV. Mom turned it on, and she and I both watched the second tower fall. 


It's been a decade, but those memories are still as vivid as if it had all occurred yesterday. Recently, with it being 10 years since 9/11, many people have either changed their profile picture to a patriotic one, or written  commemorative statuses. Recently a powerful video has been circulating on Facebook, and I finally made time to view it yesterday. 


I was blown away. Powerful, amazing, intense, and moving don't do it justice at all. This video was on the massive boatlift that tons of people participated in to help evacuate Manhattan Island. I had known of the tragedy of 9/11, and I knew there were heroes, but I hadn't known the particulars. I highly recommend watching this video, I've even included it with this article. As my mother says, 9/11 brought out the worst--and best--of mankind. This video highlights the "best" part.


~Photobug

No comments:

Post a Comment