"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Chicken Charlie's Grand Michigan Adventure, Part 5

Photobug on the Carousel.
What's happening: Geocacher "Photobug" takes geocaching trackable "Chicken Charlie" with him on vacation to Michigan. One of the places they visit multiple times is Greenfield Village, which is near Detroit. 

Hey everyone! Chicken Charlie here! Remember last time, I told ya that Photobug ended up taking me not once, but three times to Greenfield Village? Well, in this article I'll tell you about time #2, or the second day, that we went.

I'm learning something about Photobug and his family, and Greenfield Village. Even though they've been coming year after year, and usually three times per visit, too, there are some things they always have to do to start off their day at Greenfield Village right. Such as the Model T rides and the Carousel! I guess those rides fill up fast, so they get 'em while there aren't any big lines. Which makes sense.

So as you might suspect, I, along with Photobug and everyone else, took a Model T ride before we headed over to the Carousel. Now, you must understand something else about Photobug's family. They like to do the Carousel multiple times! Especially Photobug's sister. You know, where I came from, the big birds said it was always a bad thing to just go fly around in circles...but on the Carousel, it's quite fun!

After we finally finished with the Carousel (no, I'm complaining!) we visited the Wright Brother's home and cycle shop. I'm sure you know by now my stance on the Wright Brothers. But anyway, even if I do have problems with them and their hideous claims of being "first to fly", I still enjoyed touring their house. After our tour, we watched a play on the Wright Brothers and their sister Katherine. Right before lunch we took a horse-drawn carriage ride. It was fun, but honestly, the horses were something else. They just went clip-a-ti-clop, at a slow steady pace! If I had been in charge, I'd have made those horses go a lot faster!

Me by the Stony Creek Mill Pond!
After lunch, we visited the Liberty Craftworks section of Greenfield Village. In this district, there are all sorts of cool shops, such as a glass shop, the printing and tin mill shops, a carding mill area, and so much more! It was fun--I even got my picture with the Stony Creek Mill Pond (see picture)--but the glass shop was really hot! Photobug and his family (of course) took a train ride (again), and then we all split up. I went with Photobug, who visited Henry Ford's birthplace home. After that, we ambled on down to Edison's lab, where we watched Edison "himself" tell us "reporters" all about his new invention, the light bulb!

Wow, that's a lot of writing for a little bird! We just did so many things on our second day at Greenfield Village. I'll letcha (let you) look at the photos now! Some of the photos in this article were taken by Photobug's father.

*    *    *




 ^^The fountain in the entrance to Greenfield Village.
 What can I say? Squawk, squawk! Photobug and his family just love to ride the Model T's and the 1913 Carousel!
 ^^I thought this was a pretty nice photo, if I do say so myself!
















(above and below): this London, England jewelry shop toiled the hours away in the 1800s and 1900s, until Henry Ford moved it to Greenfield Village, trimming its' size. Today, this shop and its' bells still announce each hour!

^^A view down Main Street.
The next several photos are of the Wright Brother's home and cycle shop. Well, you already know what I think of them (sqUAWK!), but still, it was nice touring the real buildings. Photobug also really enjoyed the play on the Wright Brothers and their sister.










^^The home of H. J. Heinz. As a bird, I was quite surprised to learn that the guy made more
food than just ketchup!

 ^^ Clipclop, clipclop...

 We visited a replica of the Ford Motor Company (above), and saw the Fifteen Millionth Ford (below).

 Liberty Craftworks is the district in Greenfield Village where there's all the cool shops, which make glass, pottery, tin, newspapers, and more! Next several pictures were taken in Liberty Craftworks.



 The glass shop was HOT! I had to flutter outa there fast, it was so sweltering!!



 (above and below): A carding mill! No, that's not where you gather 'round da table and make cards, though at first that's what I thought it was. It's how people back in the 1850s used to process sheep wool...I wonder if they did the same to bird feathers?



^^This lady in the Tin Shop was very nice and made both Photobug and his sister their very own cookie-cutters. The shapes she choose were nice, but still, I think a chicken cookie-cutter would have been better!


 ^^Photobug's sister got to help in the Printing Office!


 After Liberty Craftworks, Photobug, his family, and I all rushed over to catch another train ride. By now, I was an experienced steam train rider. Toot-toot!


 ^^Photobug really liked this shot with all the smoke.
 Late in the afternoon, Photobug and I visited Henry Ford's boyhood home, and naturally the next few pictures here are of it. It was cool being able to go through it!



^^These very nice ladies posed for Photobug's camera.

(above and below): Photobug hadn't really seen this statue of Edison before, and of course I hadn't either. We also really enjoyed the talk "Mr. Edison" gave, too! He was very animated, and enthused about "his" invention!


*    *    *

And, so that was the end of my second day at Greenfield Village. It was lots of fun, even if my wings did get a little tired. Tune in soon for my coverage of my third and final day at Greenfield Village, and....well, I'll just keep that a surprise!!

More later,
Chicken Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment