"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Still Standing

By nature, humans would rather do nothing than something. For example, there's a lot of people who would rather stay home and watch television instead of getting out of the house and exercising on a perfectly fine day. Or play a computer game instead of folding the laundry.

While I do try to be active and not just spend my entire day starring at a screen, I have noticed sometimes that I feel like I'd rather sit than stand. For example, a couple times a week I head down to our local university's cafeteria and help clean their bathrooms and dining hall. The work is fairly easy, and the people are extremely nice, which helps a lot. However, nice people or not, after almost four hours on my feet I can get a little tired. When I sit down in the dining hall to grab some stray food article that I need to pick up, often I have a very strong temptation to just stay seated, as I am tired! However, I know that I still have a job to do, so I conscientiously stand up and get back to work. I have to make sure that I am still standing--I can sit when I am done with my work.

I've been thinking about that lately. Sometimes in the spiritual sense, it may seem to be easier to sit down and go with the flow, go with your peers, instead of standing up for what you believe in. It may be the easier option. But is that what we should do?

No. We need to keep standing for God, even if it's not easy. Of course, Jesus never said it was easy. In the Beattitudes (see Matthew 5:10-11) He said that while we may get persecuted for His sake, He will remember our actions and reward us in Heaven. Another encouraging verse is Romans 15:5--

"May the God who gives endurance and encouragement..."

Jesus has promised to give us endurance and encouragement! So when we feel like our stand for Him is slipping, we can call on God and He will help us. Another beautiful promise is found in Matthew 28:20--

"And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

While Jesus has revealed that we may have to endure various forms of persecution, he has not only promised to give us endurance and encouragement, but to be with us! I don't know about you, but that encourages me aplenty. With God's help, we can keep standing for Him!!

So I have a question for you. When Jesus comes back in the clouds of Heaven very soon, will He find you still standing for Him??

No comments:

Post a Comment