"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Grace

It happened this summer. My room was a MESS! Stuff thrown in corners, desk and dresser tops covered, shelves messy, and drawers bulging.

But did I do anything? No. I'd straighten my room each week for Sabbath, but unconscionably I lowered my standards bit by bit....until my room was, I admit, quite messy. So one Thursday, my mother entered my room and just about exploded, my room was SO messy!

Soon after she called me. Then we went into my room and there she told me what was going to happen. First and foremost, she explained, I was going to have my room clean before I used computer! I was to use my new time to transform my pig's pen into a spotless haven of rest and relaxation.

That was a Thursday night. I tackled parts of my room, and since we were gone Friday, I did not have much time. Then along comes Sabbath. Of course, I do not do any cleaning on Sabbath, but I do usually receive some extra computer time. (In which I type these devotionals.) But by Sabbath my room wasn't clean.

So I asked my mother if I could go on the computer. After much thought, she said I could have an hour's time on the computer, even though I didn't deserve it, as my room wasn't clean yet.

I was thinking about my mother's decision to let me go on the computer. I sure hadn't earn it--my room wasn't clean yet! But she decided to have grace on me and let me use the computer anyway. I realized that my mother's decision, while a poor example, does parallel what Jesus does for us.

God gave us grace. Each one of us has sinned, and our punishment is death (see Romans 6:23.) But God sent his Son to take our place, so through His death, we can live with Him forever.

John 3:16, NIV:

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

Ephesians 1:6, NIV:

"...his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves."

Romans 1:5, NIV:

"Though him...we received grace."

We all are sinners, and don't deserve eternal life at all! But God graciously offers His grace to us. Do you want to live with Jesus forever? Than except His gift of grace and live with Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment