"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Blogging Through The Books of Samuel: 1 Samuel 17

David and Goliath, the Bible story that most people probably know best. While we may have imagined a five-year-old little kid slingin' a pebble at a grinning cardboard monster, I think the real story is quite different. We can seriously learn some valuable lessons.

Scripture:

"The LORD who delivered me from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine." ~1 Samuel 17:37

Observation:

In this verse, David is talking to King Saul, trying to convince the king to let him fight the Philistine giant. David is essentially saying, "God was with me when I killed the lion and the bear, why won't he help me now??" As we all know, in God's power David went on to slay Goliath. The part that most childrens' stories leave out is that immediately after David killed Goliath, David cut off the giant's head! Shortly thereafter, the Israelites madly pursue the Philistines, chasing their enemies back to home turf.

Application:

You know, as I've been thinking, I've realized how much I don't like the song that celebrates David and Goliath's battle. Why? Well, because the song repeatedly keeps saying, "Only a boy named David, only this, only that". No. It was not only a boy named David. It was a boy-turning-man willing to be used by God, a person that God was with and helped. I think the main lesson I get out of this well-known story is that "only" by ourselves we can't do anything. It is all through God's power and strength that we accomplish things for Him. Remember--not us, but Him.

Prayer:

Dear God, thank you for letting me read this story. Help me to remember that you are always with me, and that you will help me if I ask. Help me to remember that by myself I can't do anything, but through you all things are possible. (Philippians 4:13) Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment