"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Friday, August 26, 2011

Chicken Charlie's Grand Michigan Adventure, Part 1

 Hey guys, this here is Chicken Charlie! Nice to meet you, if you don't know what I am, then, I'll tell you right now! I'm a geocaching trackable that was released in New Jersey almost a year ago. As a geocaching trackable, I am placed in different caches. When a geocacher (the person finding the geocache) finds the cache that I'm in, they'll pick me up and then drop me off in another cache!

Well, back in January a cacher placed me in a cache. Wonderful! Except...no one ever found that cache for seven months! So it was late July by the time that another cacher (Photobug) found me and took me out! Whoa, boy, I tell ya, it can get STUFFY in a cache sometimes...especially if you're in there for seven months straight!

I can't tell you how grateful I was to Photobug for taking me out of that stuffy cache! But Photobug really went the extra mile. Instead of just dropping me off in another cache, he took me on vacation to Michigan! We traveled 1300 miles together, found 14 caches, and visited 6 history museums!! It's a big task for a little bird, but Photobug asked me to write this series of articles on our trip together. So here it is, I hope you enjoy it! I don't know how fast I'll get 'em out, (you know, I am busy doing some more traveling right now), but I'll do my best to finish the whole series! Enjoy!


*    *    *

^^Kentucky time!! After driving several hours in Tennessee, this chicken was more than ready to rack up a new state!
^^I had never seen rocks like these before.
^^Bawk, bawk, I found my first Kentucky cache! It was a really nice one, too. I even picked up a German geocoin!
^^Wow, three states in one day!
^^I liked this rubber ducky, but quite frankly, I think they should've had a CHICKEN up there!!
^^Our first museum of the day: the National Museum of the United States Air Force.
Now, I gotta clear up somethin' here.  In this museum, they talk all about how PEOPLE learned to fly,
and how they did this or that with flying. HOWEVER, as a BIRD, I happen to know and believe that us BIRDS were the first ones to learn how to fly! Just sayin'.

^^Probably my favorite part of the museum was trying on this astronaut suit. C'mon, don't you think they should make astro-BIRD suit??





 ^^Replica of a 1909 Wright Flyer. Next few pictures are of early planes...I honestly don't know or care about their names!





 (above and below): the original and authentic Apollo 15 command module. I thought it was really cool to visit  this spacecraft on the 40th anniversary of its' mission, when it splashed down in the Pacific Ocean! This spacecraft was names Endeavour. Apollo 15's other spacecraft was named Falcon. Personally, I don't think that was a good choice. They should've named it something more brave or daring or noble, such as Chicken!!


 ^^The flight suit of a chimpanzee named Ham, who flew into space 50 years ago. I think they should've sent a chicken into space, instead of a chimp!
 (above and below): Cool missiles! Photobug couldn't fly up to the top, but I sure could, and did! Boy, could you look out when you were up there!

 ^^A replica of Sputnik, Photobug told me it was the first thing to fly in space. Hmmmm....
 (above and below, for next few pictures): So many planes! I still think they should've focused on us BIRDS more!!


 (above and below): Photobug and his sister in a mockup of a jet fighter plane. Or something like that!

 (above and below): Above, me with the Apollo 15 command module. Below, Photobug tries on the astronaut suit!!

^^After the Air Force Museum, we visited the Huffman Prairie Interprative Center. I guess Huffman Prairie in Dayton was where the Wrights learned to fly, or that's what people think! Despite my strong bias on the subject, I still enjoyed learning some new history. Here I am with a picture of the Wright Brothers "flying" for the first time!

*    *    *

And that was only the first day of vacation! Don't fly away till I tell you about my second day on my Grand Michigan Adventure! Coming up soon!

More later,
Chicken Charlie

1 comment:

  1. You couldn't do 3 states in one if you still lived in TX LOL

    ReplyDelete