"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Chicken Charlie's Grand Michigan Adventure, Part 2

What's happening: Geocacher "Photobug" has taken geocaching trackable "Chicken Charlie" on vacation with him to Michigan. On their first day of vacation, they visited the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton, Ohio. Now on the second day of vacation, even more fun is planned!

After visiting the National Museum of the United States Air Force, I wasn't sure if it could get any better. I mean, c'mon, where else can a bird try on an astronaut suit? That was pretty fun. I wished that I could learn more about the exploration of outer space, and especially if any more birds were involved!

Here's me with one of the caches we found--
this one next to the Armstrong Air & Space Museum. 
Well, I didn't have long to wait. On the second day of vacation, Photobug took me to the Armstrong Air and Space Museum in Wapakoneta, Ohio! That museum, named after Neil Armstrong himself, was the coolest. Did you know that Neil Armstrong was the first man on the moon, or that he grew up right there in Wapakoneta? I sure didn't. (By the way, I know Wapakoneta is a hard word to pronounce. Photobug had to teach me how to say it, too. I think you say it this way: WAP-oh-kuh-neh-ta)

I'll reserve the rest of my comments on the museum for the pictures, but right now I'll tell you a little more about what we did in Wapakoneta. Guess what? We geocached! Photobug took me to four caches in Wapakoneta, and took my picture at all of them! My favorite, however, was "One Small Step for Everyone", which was right next to the museum. (See photo).

Well so much for all my bawkin' and screchin' at ya, here's some photos of the museum!

*    *    *

 ^^It's hard to see, but this is the front of the museum. The middle of it is shaped to look like a moon; they did a good job o' it! Inside that dome there's a really cool video on Apollo 11. Now let me just clarify a little something right here: Neil Armstrong named his lunar lander "Eagle", and Apollo 15 commander Dave Scott named his, "Falcon". What is it with these Apollo commanders? Can''t they come up with better spacecraft names, maybe something like "Chicken"??






 ^^Some spacecraft replicas people could get into.
 ^^Photobug's dad and sister in the Gemini replica...
^^...and then Photobug and his sister in the Gemini replica. 

 ^^From replica to the real thing! Here's the real Gemini spacecraft that Photobug said Neil Armstrong flew into space...WOW!
 (above and below): Photobug wanted his picture with the Gemini...and I did, too!

^^Here's the Ohio flag that Neil Armstrong flew with him, aboard Gemini 8--the Gemini mission he flew on.

 ^^Here's the plane that Neil Armstrong really flew when he was a teenager.
 Above, Armstrong's real backup Apollo suit! Below, a real moon rock. Cool stuff!

 ^^Photobug said this was a canister used on the Apollo spacecraft to cart out the poisoneous carbon dioxide. Or something like that!
 ^^Photobug's sister at the lunar lander simulator.
 ^^A real space shuttle tire, used on STS-68 back in 1994!

*   *   *

Well, that's that! The Armstrong Air and Space Museum was really cool, and I learned a lot of stuff I didn't know before! They say it's a family-friendly place, but I'd rate it as bird-friendly, too! After we finished going through the museum, and found a few more geocaches, we once again hit the road. After a few more hours, we arrived in...

^^...MICHIGAN!!

Don't fly away now, folks! My grand Michigan adventure was just getting started. In a few more days I'll post about some of the things Photobug and I did in Michigan!

More later,
Chicken Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment