"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Saturday, July 3, 2010

All From the Bird's Beak


Here's another story about Lola, the parrot we've been parrot-sitting. We've learned that she actually speaks! Sometimes when we say "hi" to her, she'll say "hi" right back!


She also says, "step up!" That means she wants somebody to play with her (preferably Dad.) What's really funny is that when we are ready to put her back in her cage, we'll say "step down", but Lola promptly replies, "step up!" She doesn't want us to stop playing with her!


When I thought about it later, I thought it was interesting how Lola was illustrating a spiritual/moral truth, even if she may not realize it. I feel that there are many times that we do not "step up" and do the right thing. Maybe we feel like it is too hard, or maybe we don't want to.


If you see that someone is being bullied, do you "step up" for the little guy? Or do you leave him friendless? If you hear that your friend is being bad-mouthed behind their back, do you put in a good word for your friend?

For me, if I see chores that need to be done, do I (or you!) "step up" and do the chore happily, even if we're not asked? If you go buy something at the store and you receive too much change, and it's in your favor, do you go back to the store and give back that change?


In Matthew 25:35, 36 Jesus says:


"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'"


There are many other ways to "step up" and do the right thing. Can you think of any? Try this coming week to "step up" and do the right thing.


As I said, it's all from the bird's beak!

No comments:

Post a Comment