"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Awesome Cohutta



My Friday at camp, July 9, started just like any other day at Cohutta. An ordinary, wonderful day. But the ending was faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from ordinary!

In the morning we all had our last class in the attraction we had picked, in my case, Spiritual Body-Building. I really enjoyed marking some studies in my Bible!

In the afternoon the Cohutta Springs Olympics were to be held. The Olympics consists of swimming races, running races, some ball throwing, a tug-of-strength, as well as probably a few other competitions that I'm forgetting. The first thing that they do is the 4 person relay.





Unfortunately, as you may have guessed from my cloud photo (above), the entire Olympics could not be held due to the oncoming thunderstorm. So everybody crowed inside the gym and played dodge ball or something like that.




After the dodge ball game there was the Tug-of-Strength, kind of a tug-of-war between cabins. Our cabin was easily defeated! :( But the cabins who won would play again and again until there was one winning cabin. That was a lot of fun to watch! Get a couple hundred people together in a enclosed building and you're going to have noise. Add to that just about everyone screaming and yelling and cheering their favorite cabin on, and you might get a picture of what the Tug-of-Strength was like! ;D





Following the Tug-of-Strength there was a gymnastics show--I've included some of those pictures as well in this post.


One fun thing on Friday was supper. Some of my cabinmates had heard of a song that went something like this:


"This is the song that never ends,


it keeps going on and on my friends,


Some people started singing it not knowing what they said,


and they'll continue singing it forever just because...(go back to the top, and sing it all over again!)"


Anyway, as you might have picked up from the lyrics, it's a totally senseless crazy song. It just repeats itself over and over and over and over and over and over...well, you get the idea! It was quite fun. Our cabin had decided to deliberately annoy the other cabins, and we surely did. Our cabin started singing it, then a couple more cabins started singing it, and we all did this with great gusto! ;) Probably got more carried away than we should have, but it was fun and our counselor HAD approved it.


So we all kept singing this song for about 10 minutes straight, until a staff member came and put a cap on the whole thing. But still, it was grand fun!




But the real awesome part of Friday came in the evening. All of Cohutta is so totally awesome, but if you had me single out my favorite part of Cohutta, I'd have to say the Friday night plays.


If you remember the plays were all based on a professor and his student traveling through time in their time machine.




All of the previous plays were quite funny, but this play was different, it was serious. This time the professor and his student arrived at Jesus' tomb, and Roman soldiers were guarding it. The centurion in charge told the time-traveling pair about Jesus' crucifixion, how he didn't like it. As the centurion told the story, it would be acted out on stage. Of course, the play was sort of a Christian novel--we know for sure the scenes with Jesus are true, but some of the other stuff was made up.








I'm sorry I can't do a good job of describing this for you--it's just so amazing, wonderful, I just can't describe it! The play reminded me of SonRise a bit, but on a smaller scale. I know the story of Jesus is wonderful, true, real, but when I see it acted out again, the story hits home again. The story of Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection is just so wonderful, sad, amazing, exciting! And I just love the surprise ending! The resurrection part of the play was just so amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!






I'm getting tears in my eyes as I write this. The story gets so real and wonderful when I see it acted out; how much more wonderful and awesome this story is when you realize that this story is TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God is so awesome!




After this night to remember, our counselor took our cabin out by the lake to have worship. It is really cool to have worship, to think of spiritual things out in nature. As I look up to the sky, all full of stars I think, "How wonderful God is. How BIG He is to make all the stars and the universe! How wonderful it is that He made me, and wants to have a relationship with me. He wants to spend time with me--little, microscopic me."


This is just about the best description of a Cohutta Friday I can give. It's just so awesome! One of the most cool things about camp is that the staff show me how you can have tons of fun and be very spiritual at the same time. I just love the spiritual aspect of Cohutta.

No comments:

Post a Comment