"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Shining Light


One of my favorite things I did at camp this year was go to the Mountain Lore district. It was really quite neat. There were a couple activities you could do, but my favorite was making my own candle.

You'd receive your own piece of string, and dip it in the different colors of wax to make your candle. First dip it in the wax, then in the water; now in the wax again, and then the water. It was really quite fun.

The only thing about the whole process was that it was slow. I would look at my string, and only see the faintest colors on it. I kept working at it, and before I knew it the candle was growing! This continued until my candle was a beautiful creation.

When I was thinking about my candle making, I thought it was neat how close it is to our spiritual experience. I certainly couldn't tell that my candle was growing, yet I knew it was. That's kinda how our spiritual experience is; another person may not be able to tell that we're growing, but we are.

2 Peter 3:18, NIV:

"But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."

But at whatever stage we're at in our spiritual experience, we can shine for God. We may be a big candle, we may be a small candle. That's just fine! All we need to do is to shine for God as brightly as we can.

Matthew 5:16, NIV:

"...let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."

Come to God. Grow in Him. Shine to the world!

1 comment: