"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Sunday, July 18, 2010

VBS: VolleyBall Siesta?!?



This past week I helped in our church's Vacation Bible School program. This year was the first time I got to help, and it was a lot of fun! The theme was "Under the Sea", or something like that. The whole gym was decorated with painted cardboard animals hanging from the ceiling; a boat and dock, and huge blue "waves" hanging from the ceiling. With the lights off and ocean sounds playing, it got quite authentic.

Ocean sounds is where I came in. Instead of taking photos, I helped in the audio/visual (AV) area. Basically, it consisted of making sure the microphones were handed out, collected back in, turned on, etc. And playing the "ocean sounds" CD! ;D It was a totally new experience for me, though I enjoyed it immensely. I thought it quite funny that from the AV booth in the gym all you could see was the "waves" and the gym ceiling; thus I teased that the AV team was "over"
the sea! ;)


I spent my time in two main areas; 1) the gym and 2) the church. After the opening exercises in the gym were done, my friend Jonathan and I would head on over to the church to monitor a lecture on the life and teachings of Jesus. They were really good lectures!!!

Jonathan and I chuckled when we heard that a couple watching the lectures commented to our boss on his "automatic screen movement", meaning that the screen went up by itself. I don't think they realized that there were two teens in the AV booth controlling everything! ;D

When I got to VBS the first night, I marveled at how close VBS matched what Paul said in 1 Corinthians 12:12, 18.

"The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ...But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be."
In verse 28 Paul goes on to say that "in the church God has appointed...those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration..."

I thought these verses were really really neat. Just one person can't put on VBS. It took the whole church, with all of their various, different and God-given gifts to put the program on. Some lead out, some played music, some helped behind the scenes...you get the idea. I just thought that it was neat how strongly that idea was impressed on me when I helped with VBS.

~Photobug

P.S.--and that VolleyBall Siesta thing? Well, usually our church has a once-a-week volleyball game in the gym. Since VBS used the gym last week, the volleyball games had a siesta, or VolleyBall Siesta!

No comments:

Post a Comment