"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Monday, July 11, 2011

Blogging Through The Books of Samuel: 1 Samuel 1

1 Samuel 1--Hannah pleading with God to give her a child. "Ahhhh!" you might say--what a wonderful request. Sure, yeah, well, I must confess that I forgot a few details of the story until I read it again this morning! Let's SOAP.

Scripture:

"Eli answered, "Go in peace, and may the God of Israel grant you what you have asked of him."" ~1 Samuel 1:17

Observation:

Year after year after year, Elkanah would take his two rival wives (Peninnah and Hannah) to Shiloh and worship God. Every year, Peninnah (who had gobs of kids) would tease poor Hannah about her kids--Hannah didn't have any. This was greatly distressing to Hannah, and she finally went to house of the LORD and prayed--pleaded, really--to God to give her a son.

Ever made a last-ditch bargain with God? How often do you keep up your end? Ummm, uh, yeah. That's what I thought! Don't worry, I find myself in the same boat as well. Hannah made a bargain with God, too. She told God that if he would give her a son, she would return her son to God, and that her son would serve God forever.

Eli hears this, and after realizing what she is asking for, blesses her. A few years later, a very surprised Eli sees Hannah bring her son back to the house of the LORD, to give her son to Eli to raise and train. Hannah had named her son "Samuel", because she said "Because I asked the Lord for him." (see 1 Sam. 1:20)

Application:

The big lesson I get from this chapter is keeping your promises. When Hannah made a bargain with God, she kept her end of the bargain. She did what she promised to do. And between the lines, I'm sure it must have hurt a lot to give your first and only son away to a priest who did a terrible job of raising his own sons!

I also really like this chapter because it is a wonderful example of how God keeps his promises. Never doubt it for even a millisecond--God always keeps his promises! I don't know about you, but that is a really comforting thought for me.

Prayer:

Dear God, thank you so much for letting me read this chapter today. Help me to implement these lessons into my own life, even starting with today. Please help me to keep my promises more often, and thank you so much that you always keep your promises. I know I can count on you. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment