"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Monday, July 18, 2011

Blogging Through The Books of Samuel: 1 Samuel 6

Good morning, everyone! :) Welcome to 1 Samuel 6--the chapter in which the Philistines finally decide to send the Ark of the Covenant back home to Israel.

Scripture:

"Now the people...were harvesting their wheat in the valley, and when they looked up and saw the ark, they rejoiced at the sight." ~1 Samuel 6:13

Observation:

The people had good reason to rejoice! The Ark of the Covenant had been in Philistine hands for seven months, and I'm sure you can imagine how high Israelite moral was during that period!

Application:

The big lesson I get from this chapter is that God gives second chances. Sure, the Israelites messed up and let the Philistines capture their Ark. But God gave the Israelites a second chance at the Ark when He brought it back to Israel. I don't know about you, but I know that I have done some things in my life that later I wish I hadn't. But there's good news for us: God is a god of second chances. If we pray to Him and ask for forgiveness, He will forgive us. But beyond that, he will help us endure temptation, and come away victorious. All we need to do is ask him.

"No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." ~1 Corinthians 10:13

Prayer:

I'd like to you finish off this prayer:

Dear God, thank you so much for letting me read this chapter today, and for reminding me that You are a god of second chances. Please forgive me for __________, and please help me to overcome this temptation. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment