"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Friday, July 29, 2011

Blogging Through The Books of Samuel: 1 Samuel 14

Sorry everyone! I completely forgot about blogging yesterday...it was very crazy! Now I shall make up, and Sunday I will once again start on the schedule as usual. 1 Samuel 14--good things, bad things. I could blog about how terrible a king Saul was, to seriously almost kill his own son, but I don't want to go that way. I want to focus on the positive in this chapter, okay?

Scripture:

"Jonathan said to his young armor-bearer, "Come, let's go over to the outpost of those uncircumcised fellows. Perhaps the LORD will act in our behalf. Nothing can hinder the LORD from saving, whether by many or by few." "Do all that you have in mind," his armor-bearer said. "Go ahead; I am with you heart and soul.""
~1 Samuel 14:6-7

Observation:

Saul's son Jonathan hatches a bold and daring plan to fight the Philistines, up against who the Israelite army was now approaching. When Jonathan shares his plan with his armor-bearer, the guy gives two thumbs up to Jonathan's plan. Most importantly, God was with Jonathan. Long story short, Jonathan and his armor-bearer end up spear-heading (quite literally!!) the defeat of the Philistines. God rescued Israel.

Application:

I really like what Jonathan did here. Boldly, in God's strength he went out and did something for God. He didn't just sit back and wait for God to rescue Israel; no! Jonathan--and his armor-bearer--let themselves be instruments in God's hands, and the Lord surely used them.

Bringing this lesson home: I think that God wants all of us to be doers for him, not just watchers. I'll be honest with you, that's hard for me to do! I am much more comfortable being a follower, someone who supports someone else who is in the spotlight. But through this story, I feel God is calling me--calling you--to be doers for him. My way of witnessing for Christ will probably be different than yours; that's okay! Not everyone is called to be a pastor, give Bible studies door-to-door, or even write blog devotionals! But God has given all of us talents, to be used for him. I think that's the important thing, to actually do it and witness for him, whatever our way. How about you ask God right now to show you how you could witness for him the best??

Prayer:

Dear God, I know that you want me to witness for you and be one of your doers. I may not know how you want me to witness for you right now. Please reveal to me what you would want me to do for you. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment