"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Blogging Through The Books of Samuel: 1 Samuel 12

Today--1 Samuel 12. Really touching, thought-provoking as Samuel delivers his farewell speech, and the Israelites realize what evil they have committed to ask for a king. Even so, there is still light at the end of the tunnel.

Scripture:

"But be sure to fear the LORD and serve him faithfully with all your heart; consider what great things he has done for you." ~1 Samuel 12:24

Observation:

The Israelites had just witnessed first-hand a supernatural wonder, called for by Samuel to show the people what a wicked thing they had done when they had asked for a king. The Israelites disparately ask Samuel to pray to God that they would not die. Samuel does, and he also reassures the nation that if they and their king do right in the sight of God, everything will be fine.

Application:

The lesson that I got out of this chapter was that God is a god of second chances. Maybe I blogged about this before; I don't know. But if I did, it is worth repeating. I really like how Samuel keeps emphasizing how even if the Israelites and their king sin, if they are truly sorry for what they have done, God will forgive them. God would clean off the slate so to speak and forget about their sin. He can do the same for you and me, too.

Prayer:

Dear God, thank you so much for being the god that you are, and forgiving me when I am truly sorry for my sins. For giving me second chances. In Jesus' name, Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment