"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Blogging Through The Books of Samuel: 1 Samuel 9

Good morning, everyone! Welcome to 1 Samuel 9, in which the prophet Samuel tracks down Saul, who was slated to be Israel's first king.

Scripture:

"When Samuel caught sight of Saul, the LORD said to him, "This is the man I spoke to you about; he will govern my people."" ~1 Samuel 9:17

Observation:

Saul and a servant are out searching for some lost donkeys. Their search isn't going very well, so the servant suggests they ask Samuel for help. They find Samuel, but Samuel tells Saul much more than where his donkeys are!

Application:

I was thinking pretty hard to come up with a lesson from this chapter. I finally decided on this: God's plans may be radically different from our plans. As we'll read in the next few chapters, Saul certainly didn't feel like he could be Israel's first king. However, if God calls us to do something, he will always enable and endow us with the "stuff" we need to do the job. And by "stuff" I mean talents, abilities, etc. Ruling as king is certainly different than searching for lost donkeys! But just like God gave Saul what he needed to become king, God will give us whatever we need to do the jobs that he has given us to do.

Prayer:

Dear God, thank you so much for letting me read this chapter today. Thank you for reminding me that even if you call me to do a job that I don't think I can do, that you will give me what I need to do that job. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment