"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Blogging Through The Gospels: John 21

Wow! I can hardly believe that this is my last SOAP post for "Blogging Through The Gospels"...I've really learned some new things, the time has just gone so quickly! Before I get on with my SOAP, however, I think I'm going to give you a little "pre-shower".

1. ""I'm going out to fish," Simon Peter told them, and they said, "We'll go with you." So they went out and got into the boat, but that night they caught nothing." ~John 21:3

Jesus had been crucified. The disciples' hopes dashed. Well, what to do? Peter and some of the other disciples decided to go fishing, and perhaps return to their old way of living. I think one of the major points I got out of this chapter was that Jesus communicated with his disciples they they are still fishers of men, and that he still needs them. They don't have to go back to fishing for fish.

But just to show the disciples that He really was Jesus, He performs a miracle and helps the disciples catch a stupendous amount of fish--153 in all! That right there pushed them over the edge. Peter knew it was Jesus right then and there!

2. "When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?" "Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my lambs."" ~John 21:15

Three times had Peter publicly deny Jesus. Three times must Peter publicly declare his allegiance to Jesus. As I read the chapter, I thought this particular story was very touching and important.

Okay--now onto our SOAP!

Scripture:

"Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them...When Peter saw him, he asked, "Lord, what about him?" Jesus answered, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me." ~John 21:20-22

Observation:

As Jesus and Peter are having this discussion, John is following them. Peter sees this and asks Jesus about him, as Jesus had just told Peter what his fate would be (see verses 18-19). Jesus tells Peter, in effect, "Who cares about what happens to him? You follow me."

Application:

Witnessing to friends, family, and strangers is very important. But the message I got from John 21 was this: your own relationship with God is more important than others' relationships with God. Before you worry about others, worry about yourself. Make sure that you have a good relationship with God. Read his Word--preferably a little each day--and pray and talk to him like to would a friend. Ask God that he would help you understand what you read--he will. When you are good with God, when you have a good (notice I did not say "perfect"!!) relationship with God, your witnessing for God will go much smoother.

Prayer:

Dear God, thank you so much for giving me this awesome opportunity to blog through the gospels these last few months. Thank you so much for bringing lessons to mind, that I can remember and treasure forever. I pray for everyone who is reading this post--please, help them in their relationship with you. Help it not just be a dried-out ritual, but a vibrant, growing, wonderful relationship with a best friend. Thank you for all that you've done. Amen.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
P.S.--To learn more about this blogging-through-the-gospels program, go to: http://www.momstoolbox.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment