"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Blogging Through The Books of Samuel: 1 Samuel 4

Good morning, everyone! Welcome to 1 Samuel 4--where some pretty tragic events occur! First of all, the Israelites lose a battle to the Philistines. Then they bring in their Ark of the Covenant as a "good luck charm", and since God isn't with them, God lets the Philistines capture the ark. To top it all off, when high priest Eli hears the sad news, he topples over backwards...and dies!

So today was a very sad chapter. However, I think there are some good lessons that can be learned.

Scripture:

""Why did the LORD bring defeat upon us today before the Philistines? Let us bring the ark of the LORD's covenant from Shiloh, so that it may go with us and save us from the hand of our enemies."

Observation:

I'm sure that God would have helped the Israelites...if they had asked. Instead, they viewed the Ark as a "good luck charm", and against the rules took it into battle. Since God wasn't with them, he couldn't help them win the battle, and the Philistines captured the Ark.

Application:

I don't know about you, but sometimes I feel like I don't listen to God enough. I just do my own thing, not even asking him what I should do. The big lesson I drew from this chapter is that we need to listen and follow God.

Prayer:

Dear God, help me to listen to you more. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment