"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Blogging Through The Books of Samuel: 1 Samuel 2

Good morning, everyone! Welcome to this second day of the program! :) Today's chapter is 1 Samuel 2, which talks about Hannah's prayer of gratitude (it's really beautiful--you should read it for yourself!!), Eli's wicked sons, and a prophet delivering a prophecy against Eli and his house. Let's dig in deep and see what we can learn!

Scripture:

Okay, so I admit. There were three verses that caught my attention, so I'll list 'em all here, even though I'll really SOAP about one:

1. ""My heart rejoices in the LORD; in the LORD my horn is lifted high."" ~1 Sam. 2:1

Right here Hannah is just so happy; she's praising the LORD left and right! If I remember correctly, in Bible times a horn was something lifted high, something to be seen. A footnote in my Bible told me that in this verse, "horn" means "strength". I think this verse is cool, not just because Hannah is praising God, but because she wants to share him, and tell of what he has done for her to everyone. WOW!

2. "And the boy Samuel continued to grow in statue and in favor with the LORD and men." ~1 Sam. 2:26

When I read this verse for the first time, I did a double take. Haven't I read this verse before? I thought. Well, I had--sort of. When you compare them, it's really surprising how this above verse and this next verse match:

"And Jesus grew in wisdom and statue, and in favor with God and men." ~Luke 2:52

Isn't that really weird how closely they match??

3. OK, so I really liked the previous two verses, but this next one is the one I'm going to SOAP on!

"Those who honor me I will honor, but those who despise me will be disdained." ~1 Sam. 2:30

Observation:

Do we really need an observation? This is God talking. Pretty self-explanatory!

Application:

"Those who honor me I will honor, but those who despise me will be disdained."

Hmmmm. If you took this verse out of context, you could really misinterpret what God wants to do. Even though we are sinful, if we ask Jesus to come into our lives, forgive our sin, and help us to do better in the future, he will. God isn't talking about those kind of people here. Instead, he's talking about people like high priest Eli and his sons who purposely blow God off and do terrible wrongs, even though they know better.

When I read this verse, I thought for a while.

I need to honor God more. What about you?

Prayer:

Dear God, you are such an awesome God! You made the stars way out there, and yet you are interested in little me. Thank you for giving me the chance to read more in your Holy Word, and please help me to remember the lessons that you want me to remember. Today, I'm trying to remember to honor you in everything I do. Please come into my life, myself, my day, and help me to honor you! Thank you so much for being the God that you are. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment