"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Blogging Through The Books of Samuel: 1 Samuel 3

1 Samuel 3--a story we think we all know, but when we really read it we learn new insights! Today's chapter covers God calling Samuel to the prophetic ministry, and as we all know, little Samuel can't figure out who's calling him at first. Let's SOAP!

Scripture:

"The LORD called Samuel a third time, and Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, "Here I am; you called me." Then Eli realized that the LORD was calling the boy." ~1 Sam. 3:8

Observation:

As I read this chapter, I felt like I could read through the lines quite a bit and learn about Samuel's character. First of all, Samuel was obedient. Even when it was the middle of the night, Samuel got up three times when he thought Eli needed him.

Application:

To be quite honest, I don't know if I would've done the same thing that Samuel did. Probably, I would have just groggily rolled over in bed! But Samuel didn't just roll over in bed; when he thought Eli needed him, Samuel was there in a flash. Good lessons for me to learn, too!

Just like David, whom Samuel was to anoint many years later, Samuel had qualities that God could use. He was respectful, obedient, and humble. These are qualities God likes to see in his workers--whether they be grownups, teens, or kids!

Prayer:

Holy Father, truly you are an awesome God. You made the entire world, all the animals, fish, birds, and more, and yet you still care about me. Thank you so much for that, and for giving me the opportunity to read this chapter. I want to serve you. Please help me to be more respectful of the people I need to respect; more obedient to the people I need to obey; and please help me to be humble and not all puffed up. I surrender all that I am to you; please mold me so that you can use me. Thank you so much for being the God that you are. In Jesus' precious holy name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment