"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Rotten Food--Good for Nothing, Right??

Note: the inspiration and ideas for this devotional came completely from my little sister...and she just happens to turn seven years old today! :) Happy Birthday, Alison!

One of the chores that I frequently do for my mother is take out the compost. It really isn't that hard, and I know what to do, too. 

Take the bag of compost, and remove the clothespin holding the bag closed. Open the door, and walk across our backyard until I reach the gate to the woods. Unlatch the gate, and then continue on our semi-mulched  path until I reach the stinky, smelly compost pile which is hidden behind a big rock or something. Dump the bag's contents on the pile while bees, flies, and other insects fly all around, and then retreat and retrace your steps back into the house.

I must say, that while I truly enjoy helping my mother, I don't exactly, um, um, ENJOY going near the compost! It just plain isn't pleasant. The flies, bees, and smell of rotten food just doesn't attract me. You know, sin is kind of like that rotten food I have to take out to the compost pile. It smells. It stinks. And there's the equivalent of bees and flies buzzing all around! Having inherited this sin/rotten food disease from Adam and Eve, there's really nothing we can do about this sin in our lives.

But there is Someone who cares about us, and our rotten food-like sin. His name is God. If we truly surrender all to him, he will make us new again. We may not see how he could use such sin-ridden rotten food like us, but God can. If we let Him have all that we are, he can "compost" us if you will, and use us for his glorious purposes! 

II Corinthians 5:17--

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: the old has gone, the new is here!"

Even though the compost I take out seems gross and nasty, I know that one day it will turn out to be wonderful fertilizer for our garden. So it is with us. If we let him, God will change us into a new creation! 

Are you willing to let God "compost" you??

No comments:

Post a Comment