"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Monday, April 4, 2011

Blogging Through The Gospels: Matthew 1

Tease me if you will, but I am now following a devotional plan hosted by some homeschool moms! :D Over the past few months my mother read through her Bible in 90 days, and posted several nice posts on her blog. Towards the end of that program, I was kind of wishing that I had done it...and so I was very excited to find out today that the website (www.momstoolbox.com) that hosted the Bible in 90 days program was hosting a shorter blogging-through-the-gospels program. So starting today, (hopefully) I will read my assigned chapters and then blog about what I read here....I'm really excited about this program because I can have both some input and output.

Another thing--Mom's Toolbox has a really cool method on how to blog/share/have your devotions: it's called the SOAP method. "S" stands for a favorite Scripture verse you like, "O" stands for an observation you made about that verse, "A" stands for an application in your life (that you found from that verse), and "P" stands for prayer. I haven't done this type of thing before, but I'm gonna try!

So yeah. Anyway, today's chapter was Matthew 1--on the genealogy of Jesus and the angel visiting Joseph. As for the scripture passage or "S" that I liked, here 'tis:

Matthew 1:1,17:

"A record of the genealogy of Jesus Christ the son of David, the son of Abraham....Thus there were fourteen generations in all from Abraham to David, fourteen from David to the exile to Babylon, and fourteen from the exile to the Christ."

Observation:

I think that it's really cool that God concerned Himself with the seemingly "little" things. Like a bunch of names, for example! I also thought it was neat that there were fourteen generations between Abraham and David, David and the exile to Babylon, and from the exile to Babylon to Jesus. This verse reminded me once again how orderly and neat God is.

Application:

When I remember how God remembered and concerned Himself with the "little" things, I can take hope that he cares about little me, and my problems. If I let Him, He will bring neatness and orderliness into my life too.

Prayer:

Dear God, thank You so much for giving me the opportunity to read this chapter. Thank You for reminding me once again that you are concerned even with the little things in life. Help me to trust You more with all of my problems--big and little. Amen.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
P.S.--To learn more about this blogging-through-the-gospels program, or if YOU would like to join yourself (you're more than welcome-jump right in!!) click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment