"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Monday, April 11, 2011

Blogging Through The Gospels: Matthew 9

Matthew 9 is such a good chapter! It contains so many good stories, a lot about Jesus healing people. I really like those kinds of stories!

For review, Matthew 9 covers the healing of a paralytic, a dead girl, a sick women, the blind, the mute, and the demon-possessed. Jesus also recruits tax collector Matthew (who, by the way, wrote this book) to be on His team of growing disciples, as well as Jesus is questioned on fasting. And then to top it off, Matthew 9 finishes with the famous passage about "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few...." (see verse 37).

Of course I liked the whole chapter, but unlike previous chapters there was not so much that struck me. However, two points did strike me, so I will share them with you. Prepare for your daily "pre-shower"!

"As Jesus went on from there, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax collector's booth. "Follow me," he told him, and Matthew got up and followed him." ~Matthew 9:9

Do you see what Matthew did? He left a very nice cushy job to follow some teacher who knows where! Did you ever know what life was like as a tax collector? Well, from what I can find out, it was a pretty nice job. You got to determine how high the tax was for your fellow people. Say, the Romans demanded one coin per person, but you would charge two. One coin went to the Romans, the other to your pocket. This way, a tax collector could get very rich fast. Only problem is, everyone hated you! But other than that, it was a good job.
I just think that it's interesting that right after Jesus called him, Matthew left his tax collecting business and followed Jesus. Right away. No questions asked. I wish I had the obedience of Matthew!

OK. You ready for some SOAP now? Here goes.

Scripture:

"When Jesus entered the ruler's house and saw the flute players and the noisy crowd, he said, "Go away. The girl is not dead but asleep." But they laughed at him. After the crowd had been put outside, he went in and took the girl by the hand, and she got up." ~Matthew 9:23-25

Observation:

Do you see/remember what's happening here? Let me recap. A ruler (other gospels identify him as Jarius) comes to Jesus and asks him to heal his sick daughter. Jesus comes, but en route the girl dies. Jesus still comes, and from the scripture above you see He raised this girl back to life. What impressed me in this passage was that Jesus sent away all those who were making noise. Jesus couldn't stay, help people, where there was noise.

Application:

This passage really hit home for me. In my quiettime, do I just listen for God? In my day-to-day life, am I so busy and have music or noise so much that He can't talk to me? I think that I can certainly improve in this area, this area of just listening to what God has to say to be.

"Be still, and know that I am God" ~Psalms 46:10

Prayer:

Dear God, thank You for letting me learn more about You today. Thank You for letting me read this passage about listening. Help me to listen to You more. Amen. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
P.S.--To learn more about this blogging-through-the-gospels program, or if YOU would like to join yourself (you're more than welcome-jump right in!!) click here.

1 comment:

  1. I never thought about this point before--it's a good one! Doesn't have to be specifically "noise" that is getting in the way either. For me, I find it is being "busy." Too much "busy" equals not enough quiet time with Jesus!

    ReplyDelete