"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Blogging Through The Gospels: Matthew 24

In case you're wondering, I took the picture that is accompanying this article while I was lying down in bed...and a thunderstorm raged on outside! The light you see in the window area is from the lightning.

Today's chapter is Matthew 24. In it, the disciples come and ask Jesus what will be the signs of his second coming.

"You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things much happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and  kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places." ~Matthew 24:6-7

Some of the signs, like those listed above, are already happening. Nations have been going to war for quite some time, and speaking of earthquakes....is it just me, or are they increasing? Japan, China, Chile, Haiti...



Really the entire chapter is dedicated to what the world will be like right before Jesus comes. Sometimes when I read this chapter I get scared. Don't get me wrong; I can't wait for Jesus to come!!!!!!!!! But I don't get along with the persecution stuff too well. When I have these thoughts, I have to remember that God is watching us and taking care of us, and will continue to be with us forever. Check out Matthew 28:20:

"And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

This verse helps me a lot when I get thinking about the "scary" end times. I know that Jesus will always be with me! And with Jesus I have nothing to fear.

I don't know why, but it seems like most often I hear of the "scary" end time signs of Matthew 24. As I was reading the chapter in its entirety today, I happily realized that there are some happy end-time signs! Check out these verses:

"All the nations...will see the Son of Man coming on clouds of sky, with power and great glory. And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other." ~Matthew 24:30-31

Isn't that happy? Isn't that wonderful?? I don't know why I don't hear these verses more often, because they are absolutely wonderful! I don't know how Jesus is going to do it, but somehow everyone on earth will see Jesus coming in the clouds with their own eyes at the same time. Wow. And with a loud trumpet call, Jesus' angels will gather all those that love him...bringing them to Jesus!

So I know my SOAP for today will kind of copy-cat what I just said...but here goes.

Scripture:

"For as lightning that comes from the wast is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man." ~Matthew 24:27

Observation:

Yesterday I got a little more insight into what lightning from the east to the west might mean. I don't know how many of you knew, but yesterday southeast Tennessee had tornadoes...all day. Literally. As Dad and I drove to a medical appointment in the morning, we saw some pretty hefty cloud-to-cloud lightning. When we got to where my appointment was, everyone had to huddle on the lowest level because there was a confirmed tornado very close by. Praise God, thankfully the tornado didn't touch our building! As Dad and I drove home, we saw debris everywhere. Power lines were down; a pole was even cracked in two. Stoplights were out everywhere. For pretty much the rest of the afternoon and evening, our family huddled in our basement, keeping up with the weather. We were constantly in tornado warning! Some confirmed tornadoes touched down in towns very close to us. Thankfully that whole mess is over now and we have wonderful weather. But still...I learned what lightning from the east to the west might mean!

I think what Jesus is trying to convey in this verse is that his return will not be secret. It won't just be for a few select people. Everyone everywhere on Earth will see it with their own eyes!

Application:

With God's help, I can get ready for Jesus' return.

Prayer:

Dear God, thank you for putting this chapter in the Bible, so we can know what it will be like just before you come. Please help me to get ready for you, so I will be ready and waiting when you come like the lightning. Amen. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
P.S.--To learn more about this blogging-through-the-gospels program, or if YOU would like to join yourself (you're more than welcome-jump right in!!) click here.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that we all get to see Christ coming! That will be glorious!

    ReplyDelete