"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Blogging Through The Gospels: Matthew 11

Good morning, everyone! Today's chapter--Matthew 11--is both challenging, sad, and reassuring.

To recap, Matthew 11 tells the story of when John the Baptists' disciples came to Jesus with a question from John: Are you the one who was to come?

Are you the one who was to come? Flip back in your Bibles a few chapters to Matthew 3. Do you see how bold and "for sure" John was that Jesus was the Christ? And now that John's in prison, he asks Jesus if He really is who He says He is. That was a very sobering though for me, pointing out to me what Satan can do with depression if you entertain the thoughts he sends you way.

Continuing through the chapter, Jesus talks to the crowd about John, and then starts to denounce some of the major cities where he performed miracles. Why? They didn't repent. That was another sobering thought for me.

But despite these sad things, I really liked Matthew 11 for the last few verses in it. Let's start our SOAP and shower now!

Scripture:

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." ~Matthew 11:28-30

Observation:

This is such a wonderful, comforting passage! As I read this my mind flashed back to my service dog Lauren that I had for eleven years. She was a golden retriever, and the queen of comfort (see picture). Whether she was inside or outside, she knew how to get comfy and find some rest!

Application:

We are all weary and burdened. Jesus implores us to come to Him, and He will give us rest! Isn't that amazing? In this day and age, I feel like this promise is even more helpful then before. Why don't you ask Jesus to give you rest right now?

Prayer:

Dear God, thank You for letting me read this passage on rest. Lord, even more then before, I need rest. I need to stop worrying. I'm claiming Your promise right now--please give this weary and burdened soul some rest. Amen. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
P.S.--To learn more about this blogging-through-the-gospels program, or if YOU would like to join yourself (you're more than welcome-jump right in!!) click here.

3 comments:

  1. I love this passage too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also blogged on these verses today... I was challenged to stop "doing" and start "resting".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point Ashley...I will have to remember that!

    ReplyDelete