"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Blogging Through The Gospels: Matthew 10

Matthew 10 may not be covering the Sermon on the Mount, but still there are so many good things to cover!

In review, Matthew 10 talks about when Jesus endows his disciples with special powers to heal the sick, etc. and then He sends them out, giving them instruction.

I must confess that sometimes when I think of the end times I get a bit scared. Yes, I DO want Jesus to come, and I can't wait for that, but do I have to go through all the persecution stuff? Sometimes I wonder if faced with death and keeping my faith vs. living and recanting my faith, I'll choose to recant. Matthew 10:18-20 helped me on this subject a lot:

"On my account you will be brought before governors and kings as witnesses to them and to the Gentiles. But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you."

Isn't that comforting? When we come into a situation like this, we don't have to worry about what we're going to say. Now that's not to say we shouldn't memorize Scripture, etc. now; we need to do our part too, but I just find it really comforting that God will give me something to say, and He will speak through me.

Some other favorite verses. Let's start with Matthew 10:29-31.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."

I just love this verse. Once again God is saying how valuable we are to Him. Isn't that amazing?

Onto our last verse before our daily shower with SOAP! Matthew 10:42:

"And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward."

I thought this was a really cool verse. Sometimes I wish I could give a lot of money or supplies or whatever to say, the disaster in Japan, but most of the time I don't have thousands of dollars just lying around! I really like this verse because it tells me that even if I just give the little that I have, it is still worth giving.

OK. You ready for your shower with SOAP?

Scripture:

"He called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority to drive out evil spirits and to heal every disease and sickness." ~Matthew 10:1

Observation:

So. Jesus gives his disciples special powers, and then is sending them out. As I read this verse, I remember the story in Mark 9 of when the disciples tried to heal a demon-possessed boy, but couldn't. Later the disciples came to Jesus privately and asked why they couldn't heal the boy. Jesus replied that they didn't have enough prayer, enough faith.

Application:

Are there special powers or talents that I have that I can't use because I don't have enough faith? What about you?

Prayer:

Dear God, thank You for letting me read this chapter today, and meditate on what You want me to learn. Give me the faith that I need to use my talents for You. Amen.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
P.S.--To learn more about this blogging-through-the-gospels program, or if YOU would like to join yourself (you're more than welcome-jump right in!!) click here.

1 comment:

  1. I also found Matthew 10 challenging and frightening. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has ever wondered what would happen if I were faced with life or death. It's easy to say, right now, I'd choose death but to be put in that situation... I pray that God gives me the strength to endure, the words to speak and the heart to remain focused on Him.

    ReplyDelete