"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Blogging Through The Gospels: Matthew 4

There is so many good lessons out of Matthew 4 I don't know where to begin!

To review, Matthew 4 covers the temptations of Jesus, Jesus beginning to preach, and the calling of Simon Peter, Andrew, James, and John.

Remember yesterday how I told you how I thought it was really cool how Matthew keeps pointing out how Jesus fulfills Old Testament prophecy? Well, I saw some more of that today in verse 13-16. I thought that was really neat!

I also was impressed when I read about the calling of the first disciples. When Jesus called them, they "at once" or in another verse "immediately" came and followed Him. I thought that was pretty amazing. Peter, Andrew, James, and John all had very well-established fishing businesses. But when Jesus said "Come!" they came. I know I need to work on following and coming to God faster. Sometimes I delay and think another way is better, but I need to remember that His way is best and I just need to obey Him--when He says.

OK. Now onto my SOAP for the day!

Scripture:

Well, actually I have three. Here goes, verses 4, 7, and 10:

"Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'""
"Jesus answered him, "It is also written: 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test.'""
"Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.'""

Observation:

What's the common theme in the verses above? That's right! It is written, It is written, It is written. When Satan tempted Him, Jesus came back with Scripture after Scripture. Jesus resisted temptation with Scripture. That was the big point I got out of today's reading.

Application:

When I am faced with temptation, I too can repeat Scripture as my response and reason not to sin. For example, if I'm having trouble with impure thoughts, when that temptation comes I can repeat Bible verses about how God wants me to have pure thoughts. I can say, "It is written, "let the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your (God's) sight." (See Psalm 19:14.) Then I have a surefire reason why not to give in: because God says so. When I memorize Scripture, I store gems of wisdom and knowledge away in my brain, and when temptation comes I can use these verses to refute and refuse temptation.

Prayer:

Dear God, thank you for letting me read this passage today. Thank you again for reminding me how important it is to stay true to you and memorize Scripture. Help me to do more of that in the future, so I can resist temptation. Amen.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
P.S.--To learn more about this blogging-through-the-gospels program, or if YOU would like to join yourself (you're more than welcome-jump right in!!) click here.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post--I chose one of the same verses! :) I narrowed mine down to only two verses, but there were around three more I would have liked to also use. So many good verses in today's reading! :)

    ReplyDelete