"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Blogging Through The Gospels: Matthew 2 & 3

Good morning everyone! Today's the second day in my blogging-through-the-gospels plan, and I'm really excited! Usually we'll just cover one chapter a day, but today is special in that I read two chapters: Matthew 2 & 3.

To refresh everyone's minds, Matthew 2 talks about the Wise Men coming to worship Jesus, how Herod tries to kill Jesus, and Jesus' trip to Egypt and back. Matthew 3 talks about John the Baptist, and Jesus' baptism.

One of the things that constantly impressed me as I read my reading today was how many times the book said "so that prophecy could be fulfilled, blah blah blah happened." Or something like that. I think it's really cool how Matthew links the story of Jesus to all the amazing prophecies about Jesus in the Old Testament! (For proof, see Matthew 2:5-6, 14-15, 17-18, 23, and 3:3.)

So without further adieu, here's my SOAP for the day!

Scripture:

"On coming to the house, they [the Wise Men] saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold and of incense and of myrrh." ~Matthew 2:11

Observation:

Have you really ever thought about the timing of when the Wise Men visited Jesus? Mary, Joseph, and Jesus were still living in Bethlehem. The Wise Men came, worshiped, and gave their gifts. Right after the Wise Men left, Joseph got the message to flee to Egypt. Traveling cost money back then, too! I don't know for sure, but I'm willing to guess that the Wise Men's gifts helped Mary and Joseph a lot on their way to Egypt.

Application:

God gives what we need when we need. It may not always be according to our timetable, but he plans everything to work out for good. He will give us what we need to follow Him, and do what He says. I can remember this, and comfort myself remembering that if God took care of Mary, Joseph, and Jesus, He will take care of me. All the pieces of the puzzle may not fall into place when I want them to, but God will give the the resources and knowledge of what to do when I need it.

Prayer:

Dear God, thank You for letting me read this passage today. Thank You for reminding me that you will always provide for my needs, even if it may be differently than I might think. Amen.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
P.S.--To learn more about this blogging-through-the-gospels program, or if YOU would like to join yourself (you're more than welcome-jump right in!!) click here.

4 comments:

  1. Very nice post! I like your application--I should have thought of that myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never considered before the timing of the gifts or the immediate need that they may have met. Thanks for bringing out that aspect of the story. God is faithful to provide for our EVERY need!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post!! Love your observation and application of this particular scripture. Thank you very much for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you all enjoyed the post! :)

    ReplyDelete