"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Monday, June 27, 2011

Blogging Through The Gospels: John 9

Good morning, everyone! Welcome  to John 9! I must confess, chapters in which Jesus heals people have to be some of my favorite chapters ever. John 9 focuses on Jesus healing a blind man...it is such a beautiful story! Let's SOAP!

Scripture:

"As he went along, [Jesus] saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"

"Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life."" ~John 9:1-3

Observation:

When I read these verses this morning, I just knew I had to SOAP on them. You see, before I was born I suffered a stroke, which gave me cerebral palsy. It's a rare version that affects me vertically--my right side is partially paralyzed. It's not bad at all--I can still do most whatever I want--but nevertheless it still there.

I really liked what Jesus said in verse 3: "This happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life." I know that even with having cerebral palsy, my disability has really been a blessing in disguise. For eleven years I was able to enjoy the company of a very sweet golden retriever service dog (Lauren), and when we lived in Texas I was able to ride at a horse riding stable just for handicapped people. Both Lauren and being able to ride horses were wonderful things that came with having a disability.

And I'm sure that God's not done using me yet! Perhaps the reason I have cerebral palsy is so I can be some sort of unique witness for God, I don't know. But I do know that God has a plan for my life!

Application:

You may not have cerebral palsy (I hope not!!!) or be blind, but we can always find ways that we are less privileged that someone else. Blah, blah, blah. Don't complain about your "disabilities", or what not. Remember that God has a plan for you, and he just might have let happen what you think is a "disability" so that he can use you even more. So that you can be even a greater, more powerful witness for him.

Prayer:

Dear God, help us not to complain about what we don't have, or how we're less privileged than someone else. Help us to see the big picture, and help us to be good witnesses for you. In Jesus' name we pray, Amen.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
P.S.--To learn more about this blogging-through-the-gospels program, or if YOU would like to join yourself (you're more than welcome-jump right in!!) go to: http://www.momstoolbox.com/

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. What a positive way of looking at your disability. Makes me proud to be your mom!

    ReplyDelete