"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Blogging Through The Gospels: Luke 9, Part 1

Welcome to Luke 9, everyone! Just like we did with the last chapter, we're gonna break Luke 9 into two days' worth of study because it is so long. Today (naturally!) is Part 1, which covers verses 1-27. These verses talk about Jesus sending out the Twelve, Jesus feeding the 5,000, and Peter's confession of Christ.

What really impressed me today, though, was Jesus feeding the 5,000. Let's not hesitate to on with our SOAP!

Scripture:

"the people...all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over." ~Luke 9:16, 17

Observation:

I thought it was funny how I "just happened" to read this chapter today...last night I attended my weekly Bible study with my friends, and we were studying Ruth 2. Ruth 2 talks about how Ruth "just happened" to glean in Boaz' field. Through Boaz, God gave Ruth safety, kindness, and a husband. Ruth didn't need all those things, but God gave her what she needed--and even more. God gave Ruth more than what she needed.

So this morning I'm reading Luke 9, and I read how Jesus gave the multitude (at least 10,000 to 20,000 people!) enough food and more...just from a little boy's lunch! Wow.


Application:

Does God give you what you need? I'm sure you know the answer. But even more than just giving us what we need, he often gives us more than we need. Surplus. Extra. Just to show that he cares about us. But sometimes, I think that we forget that God gives us everything we need, and more. As you go through your day, your week, try to deliberately think of ways that God is supplying your needs...and more!

I think you'll be surprised.

Prayer:

Dear God, thank you for supplying all my needs...and going beyond the basics! Help me to recognize more of all the wonderful things you do for me, and help me to get into the habit of praising and thanking you more than complaining at you. Thank you, again, for all the wonderful things you do for me. Amen. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
P.S.--To learn more about this blogging-through-the-gospels program, or if YOU would like to join yourself (you're more than welcome-jump right in!!) go to: http://www.momstoolbox.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment