"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Blogging Through The Gospels: Luke 21


Isn't this flower beautiful? I just found it blooming in my mother's flower garden a few days ago, and I knew immediately that I needed to take a picture of it! :)

Today's chapter is Luke 21--Luke's equivalent of Matthew 24 and Mark 13. What do all of these chapters have in common? Well, in them, Jesus talks about the end times. Let's SOAP and see what we can pull out of Luke 21!

Scripture:

"By standing firm you will gain life." ~Luke 21:19

Observation:

I must confess, I'm always a bit scared when I read these "end times" chapters. It's not that I don't want Jesus to come, I do, but all that persecution stuff makes me a bit nervous. So I was really happy to find this (above) verse today.

"By standing firm you will gain life."

What does that mean? Does it mean you won't physically die before Jesus comes? I don't think so. Just a few verses earlier Jesus predicted people will be put to death on account of him. Since Jesus doesn't contradict himself, I know he can't mean no one will physically die before he comes.

Application:

So what does this verse mean? And if it's not physical life Jesus is talking about, what kind of life is he talking about?

I think this verse means that if we stand firm through all the temptations, trials, and tribulations we may go through at the end times, and stick to God's side, he will give us eternal life forever. Yeah, we may physically die before God comes, but if we have done what he told us to do, he'll raise us up to glorious eternal, forever life with him!! Isn't that wonderful?

How can we prepare for the end times, so we can stand firm to the end? Have a relationship with God. Now, just "having" a relationship with God won't do it. Hey, I can meet someone for the first time and say I "have" a relationship with them...in that, I've seen them once in my life! But that "relationship" won't last if we don't keep talking and interacting. That's the way it is with having a relationship with God. You can't just boast that you "have" it and feel all smug and happy. You need continually work on your relationship with God.

How do you continually have a relationship with God? Certainly, it's much more than hearing the pastor's sermon once a week. Continually having a relationship with God means that you interact each and every day. You read the Bible--God's holy, precious messages to you. Often, God may impress you on what you should do as you read his Word. Maybe even memorize a few favorite verses! Second, pray to God. Tell him all of your sorrows, your joys, your worries. Nothing is too big or small for him.

I'm no Bible expert or anything, but I do think continually having a living, vibrant relationship with God will help you in the end times...and it certainly won't hurt you now! With continually having this kind of relationship with God, you will be able to stand firm and receive eternal life when Jesus comes back again.

Prayer:

Dear God, thank you so much for letting me read this chapter today. I truly can't wait for you to come back again, Jesus--please, help me to be ready for you when you come. I know that I need to improve my relationship with you, Lord--please, help me to know what to change and make me willing to do it. Thank you for everything you've done for me! In Jesus' holy, precious name, Amen. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
P.S.--To learn more about this blogging-through-the-gospels program, or if YOU would like to join yourself (you're more than welcome-jump right in!!) go to: http://www.momstoolbox.com/ 

1 comment:

  1. Very nice post. And I think you are exactly right--we do need to have a continual, living relationship with Jesus now. That will be the best preparation for end times...

    ReplyDelete