"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Monday, June 6, 2011

Blogging Through The Gospels: Luke 12

Welcome to Luke 12, everyone! This chapter is Luke's focus on the Sermon on the Mount. Luke recounts it slightly different from Matthew, but many stories are the same.

Scripture:

"Then he said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."" ~Luke 12:15

Observation:

This verse really popped out at me, especially the last part:

"a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."

Application:

Yeah, I have some nice things that make me happy. I enjoy having the clothes that I do, the books that I own, and access to high-speed internet. But is that what really makes a person happy, the things that they own?

No.

Having a loving family, a clear conscience, and a wonderful, growing relationship with God--that's what can make a person truly happy. The other things are nice, they are fun, but they certainly aren't necessary to being happy.

As I'm writing this, I'm remembering the story of Paul and Silas, found in Acts 16. They were doing good things for God, but they were thrown into prison anyway. As they spent the night in prison, in very uncomfortable positions, what did they do? Praise God. Paul and Silas were good at remembering what they did have, and praising God for that.

I don't know about you, whether you have or don't have the things we have talked about today. But I'm sure you have something to thank God for. Why not do it right now?

Prayer:

Dear God, thank you for everything you've given me. Help me to remember and be more thankful in the future. Amen.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
P.S.--To learn more about this blogging-through-the-gospels program, or if YOU would like to join yourself (you're more than welcome-jump right in!!) go to: http://www.momstoolbox.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment