"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Blogging Through The Gospels: Luke 14

Luke 14: some more of Jesus' teachings and parables.
Let's SOAP!

Scripture:

"For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." ~Luke 14:11

Observation:

Jesus delivered this clincher when he was at a feast. He saw that many guests had claimed for themselves the seats of honor. But perhaps, Jesus said, all the guests hadn't arrived yet. If there was a guest higher in importance, the host would have to move the guest currently sitting in the important spot to a lesser-important spot, with much humiliation involved.

Instead, Jesus taught, when you come to a feast, take the least important seat. Then when the host sees  where you are, he will honor you and bring you up to a more important seat. It's at this point where Jesus says what is recorded in Luke 14:11.

Application:

I haven't been humiliated like the guest in Jesus' parable, but I have seen at my workplaces how one who comes in at the bottom of the ladder (me!) with humility and a determination to do a good job rises. Now I'm not saying that I get a different job; I'm still washing dishes, cleaning my church, or vacuuming the dining hall. But people start to respect you. They start to compliment you. That's what I mean by rising.

Remember what's in our Scripture verse today. When you come in or start somewhere, whatever and wherever it is, don't automatically place yourself at the top. Because someone who is at the top will probably bump you down. Start at the bottom with humility, do a good job...you will rise.

Prayer:

Dear God, please help me to know how to start at the bottom with humility, and please be with me and help me wherever I go. Amen. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
P.S.--To learn more about this blogging-through-the-gospels program, or if YOU would like to join yourself (you're more than welcome-jump right in!!) go to: http://www.momstoolbox.com/

1 comment:

  1. Good points! And rising in God's eyes is really what matters, anyway! LOVE your butterfly picture too!

    ReplyDelete