"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Of Being Connected

Ear buds. I've been thinking about these little creations lately. Of course, last month my family and I traveled to California, so I really enjoyed using my ear buds on that trip. And just really around the house--even while completing chores--I've enjoyed using ear buds.

Why do I enjoy using ear buds? I mean, all they are are little wires that plug into your ears! And that's exactly my point. All the ear buds are are little wires that plug into my ears. By themselves, they are nothing. But connected to an MP3, iPod, etc., they can provide hours of endless musical entertainment. That right there is really the secret of ear buds' usefulness. They are connected to the right source.

You know, I think this concept of connectedness can go beyond ear buds, iPods, and music. I truly think this concept is very applicable in the spiritual realm. In John 15:5, Jesus was talking about this same concept, even though ear buds weren't invented back then:

"I am the vine, you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."

If I was paraphrasing this verse with ear buds in mind, I think it'd go something like this:

"I am the iPod, you are the ear buds. If a man remains connected to me and I connected to him, he will do much; but disconnected from me you can do nothing." ~John 15:5, EBV (Ear Bud Version)

Apart from God you are nothing. Connected with God, you can hardly start to imagine what he might do through you. Are you connected?

No comments:

Post a Comment