"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Friday, May 6, 2011

Blogging Through The Gospels: Mark 1

Welcome to Mark, folks! I'm really excited to start  new gospel as we get to hear the stories from a different perspective.

I must say, though, that Mark covers in a few verses what Matthew covers in many chapters! For example, in this chapter 1 Mark completely skips the birth and childhood of Jesus. He jumps right in to John the Baptist, Jesus' temptations, the calling of the first disciples, and several miracles. All in chapter 1!

Before I started reading Mark my dad told me the book read like a newspaper, quickly switching from one story to another. I must say, I must agree with my dad! I've read through Mark before, but it's been a long time and I am really enjoying reading this fast-paced gospel.

Let's get onto our SOAP!

Scripture:

"You are My beloved Son; I take delight in You!" ~Mark 1:11

Observation:

God the Father affirms his Son in this above verse. Jesus had just been baptized, and God wanted to tell Jesus that Jesus was doing the right thing. I also think that God did this so other people could hear the voice, and that would give more evidence that Jesus really was God's Son.

Application:

We can do nothing on our own, but nothing is impossible with God. Since God eagerly helps us become better people, can he say of you, "You are My beloved son or daughter; I take delight in You!"? With God's help, do we do what God wants us to do?

Prayer:

Dear God, help me to do what you would want me to do. Amen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


P.S.--To learn more about this blogging-through-the-gospels program, or if YOU would like to join yourself (you're more than welcome-jump right in!!) go to: http://www.momstoolbox.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment