"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Blogging Through The Gospels: Mark 10

Welcome to Mark 10, everyone! This chapter once again covers Jesus teaching his disciples and the ever-present crowds. However, what really touched me was the story of the heretofore blind man Bartimaeus receiving his sight. Let's SOAP!

Scripture:

"Then they came to Jericho. As Jesus and his disciples, together with a large crowd, were leaving the city, a blind man, Bartimaeus (that is, the Son of Timaeus) was sitting by the roadside begging.

When he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to shout, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!" Many rebuked him and told him to be quiet, but he shouted all the more, "Son of David, have mercy on me!"
Jesus stopped and said, "Call him." So they called to the blind man, "Cheer up! On your feet! He's calling you." Throwing his cloak aside, he jumped to his feet and came to Jesus. "What do you want me to do for you?" Jesus asked him. The blind man said, "Rabbi, I want to see."

"Go," said Jesus, "your faith has healed you." Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus along the road." ~Mark 10:46-52

Observation:

Well, I know that the above Scripture is more than just one or two verses. But I just couldn't decide on which part of that passage to include for my Scripture! So I decided to do it all. Anyway, as I said earlier, I really liked the story of Bartimaeus receiving his sight. Another thing I thought was neat was that my dad and I were discussing this very same story yesterday afternoon! And then today I read it in my quiettime. I know I will be reiterating many of the same lessons I pulled out of Matthew 20, but I feel like they deserve to be brought out once again.

OK. Let's go verse-by-verse and see what we can learn. Let's start with verse 46:

"Then they came to Jericho. As Jesus and his disciples, together with a large crowd, were leaving the city, a blind man, Bartimaeus (that is, the Son of Timaeus) was sitting by the roadside begging."

Bartimaeus. I doubt that many people conjured up warm fuzzy feelings when they thought of the guy. Blind man. Beggar. Cursed of God. Bartimaeus was probably the one thing that spoiled everyone's visit to Jericho.

Verse 47:

"When he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to shout, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!""

Most likely, Bartimaeus had previously heard of Jesus and his healing powers. Whether Bartimaeus had heard of Jesus healing other blind men, I don't know. I do think that it's safe to presume that Bartimaeus had faith that Jesus would heal him.

Verse 48:

"Many rebuked him and told him to be quiet, but he shouted all the more, "Son of David, have mercy on me!""

I really like this verse. Even when the crowd told Bartimaeus to shut up, he kept on seeking Jesus. I think that there's a good lesson here for us, which is this: Don't listen to the crowd! Keep on seeking Jesus, no matter what other people say! And as we all know, crowds can change their opinion very quickly. See verse 49:

"Jesus stopped and said, "Call him." So they called to the blind man, "Cheer up! On your feet! He's calling you.""

Jesus stopped. In the middle of teaching, talking, or whatever he was doing, Jesus stopped for poor Bartimaeus. I think that there's another lesson here for us: You are important to God! When you keep seeking him, he will hear you. And listen to you. In all the hubbub of his life, he will stop and stoop to listen to you. And care for you. Never doubt that Jesus stops and listens to you!

Verse 50:

"Throwing his cloak aside, he jumped to his feet and came to Jesus."

My dad and I were talking about this very verse yesterday. We discussed how this cloak was probably the only earthly possession Bartimaeus owned. The only possession that kept him warm, his only article of clothing that he would use as a coat. But when Bartimaeus heard that Jesus had called him, he leaped up from his dirty beggar's spot with joy, throwing away his cloak, and came to Jesus. When Jesus calls us to do something, do we leap with joy and obey him immediately?

Verse 51:

""What do you want me to do for you?" Jesus asked him. The blind man said, "Rabbi, I want to see.""

Can you just imagine how these lines were spoken? Jesus, with earnest pity, love, and tenderness. Bartimaeus once again uttering the wish of his life.

Verse 52:

"Go," said Jesus, "your faith has healed you." Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus along the road."

Bartimaeus did have faith that Jesus could heal him, and Jesus rewarded Bartimaeus' faith. Immediately Bartimaeus received his sight! What a story he would have to tell! But I really like the last part of the verse as well. After Bartimaeus received his sight, he immediately followed Jesus. Wow. Do we always follow Jesus immediately, when he tells us to do something? At times I wonder. All I can say is this: when Jesus does something radical and life-changing in our lives, we will follow him immediately!

Application:

So I know that I have mixed the applications in with my observations. But I shall reiterate them all again here, so we can see the lessons all at one time.

First, keep on seeking Jesus, no matter what other people say. Keep on seeking Jesus!!

Second, Jesus stops his busy duties to listen to us. No matter how tiny or sinful we may be, we are still important to God! Never doubt that God (and Jesus, and the Holy Spirit) are very interested in you and listen to you.

Finally, when Jesus tells us to do something, we need to obey immediately. Sometimes this is easier than other times. For example, when Jesus gave Bartimaeus his sight, I'm sure it was very easy for Bartimaeus to immediately follow and obey Jesus. We need to immediately obey Jesus, no matter the circumstances.

Prayer:

Dear God, thank you so much for letting me read the story of Bartimaeus today. Thank you for listening to me and being interested in me. Please help me to always keep seeking you, and to obey you immediately when you tell me to do something. Amen. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
P.S.--To learn more about this blogging-through-the-gospels program, or if YOU would like to join yourself (you're more than welcome-jump right in!!) go to: http://www.momstoolbox.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment