"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Monday, May 2, 2011

Blogging Through The Gospels: Matthew 27, Part 1


Today's Bible reading is Matthew 27:1-26. It certainly is some pretty heavy stuff--the sad end of Judas, and Jesus before Pilate. Some very serious, intense themes that you could dwell on for quite a while. 

Let's SOAP!


Scripture:

"So when the crowd had gathered, Pilate asked them, "Which one do you want me to release to you: Barabbas, or Jesus who is called Christ?""~Matthew 27:17

Observation:

As I read through the Bible, there are always people that I want to be like, and people that I don't want to be like. Pilate is a person that I don't want to be like. In so many words, he was wishy-washy and he never made a firm decision for right, though the heavens fall (or though the crowd and Caesar gets angry!). He was controlled by the crowd, and hoped in vain that they would have mercy for Jesus. Like that's really going to happen!

One of Pilate's attempts to free Jesus was by bringing out Barabbas. He lined up Barabbas and Jesus side by side, and then threw the question to the angry mob: Who do you want me to release? Naturally, the crowd immediately decided on Barabbas, even though he was a notorious murderer. The crowd insisted on crucifying Jesus, which sadly is what they did.

Application:

Now I'm throwing this question to you: who do you choose to rule your life, Barabbas the murderer or Jesus the Christ? Death, or Life? Sin, or Him who had no sin?

Prayer:

Dear Jesus, help me to choose you always. Amen. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
P.S.--To learn more about this blogging-through-the-gospels program, or if YOU would like to join yourself (you're more than welcome-jump right in!!) click here. During the next week or two it will be much harder for me to blog and SOAP every day. I will be continuing the reading, but I don't know whether I'll be able to blog. Please pray that I will be able to continue blogging through the Gospels!

No comments:

Post a Comment